9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2014 3:25 AM by shan dar RSS

Try to understand the use of FileSizeMultiplier, userRAMratio for Ram Sizing

shan dar

Hi Forum/Friends,

I was trying to understand the step for sizing the RAM requirment for QV Installation part.

Suppose we 30 Concurrent Users

Formula

RAM = (RAMuser × No. users) + RAMinitial

Where
      RAM?initial = QVWsizedisk × FileSizeMultiplier; This is the initial RAM footprint for any application
      RAM?user =?RAMinitial × userRAMratio; This is the RAM each incremental user consumes
      QVWsizedisk = SourceData × (1 - CompressionRatio); This is the size, on disk, of a QlikView file
      Assumptions: userRAMratio: range between 1%–10%
      FileSizeMultiplier: range between 2–10

Caculation Part of Ram Requirment as follows of following configurtion part:-
      SourceData : 50GB
      CompressionRatio : 90%
      FileSizeMultiplier: 4
      userRAMratio : 5%
      No. of concurrent users: 30

QVWsizedisk = 50GB × (1 - 0.9) = 5GB
      RAMinitial = 5GB × 4 = 20GB
      RAMuser = 20GB × 5% = 1GB
      Therefore, the RAM footprint to support 30 concurrent users in
      this deployment would be: RAM = (1GB × 30) + 20GB = 50GB

My Understanding

SourceData : 50GB                                    (This is Database Size: ok)

CompressionRatio : 90%                            (This is Qlikview Compression Ratio of data which is 90%: ok )

FileSizeMultiplier: 4                                   (This is Part I am not able to understand?)

userRAMratio : 5%                                    (This is Part I am not able to understand?)

No. of concurrent users: 30                        (This Number of Concurrent User: ok)

QVWsizedisk = 50GB × (1 - 0.9) = 5GB     (This if database size is 50 GB on compression 90% it becomes to 5GB in QV: ok)
      RAMinitial = 5GB × 4 = 20GB                    (This QVWsizedisk x FileSizeMultiplier: ok)
      RAMuser = 20GB × 5% = 1GB                  (This RAMinitial x userRAMratio: ok)
      Therefore, the RAM footprint to support 30 concurrent users in
      this deployment would be: RAM = (1GB × 30) + 20GB = 50GB     (This RAMuser x No. of concurrent users: ok)

So, In short can I get help to understand the following

What the use of FileSizeMultiplier, userRAMratio ?

Why FileSizeMultiplier = 4 and userRAMratio = 5%?

Why not FileSizeMultiplier = 5 or 3 and userRAMratio = 4 or 12 ?

It will be very helpful if any body can explain me with simple example.

Advance Thanks

SD