If you will look at the QlikView SR5 Reference Manual section 21.4 it will explain the in-memory model. This is from the version SR7 manual.
When table fields are loaded with a Direct Discovery load statement (Direct Query), a similar table is created
with only the DIMENSION fields. As with the In-memory fields, the unique values for the DIMENSION
fields are loaded into memory. But the associations between the fields are left in the database.
Thanks Bill but my questions is a little different.
1. You reload a document. All in memory tables are loaded. The DIMENSION fields in Direct discovery 'tables' are loaded in but DETAIL and MEASURE are not.
2. A table box is created in the UI with fields from the DETAIL field.
3. At first the table in the UI is empty.
4. When a user makes a selection that is associated with a DETAIL field, the Direct Discovery function executes the call to the source database.
5. The database returns the set and in the UI the table box is populated.
Is the .qvw bigger in RAM when the table box is populated?