Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Load a field that is hidden in Excel - possible?

Hi,

the background to my very simple question is: I have to load a shift_plan in Excel which is made up of several blocks of rows, but I need to load only the rows from a certain block.

Unfortunately, there is nothing specific to the lines in that block - there are names and numbers like anywhere else in the list.

I don't want to go by the size of the header, so I want to ask the colleague in charge of that list to implement a flagfield in a column that is empty as yet so I can filter to load only the cells where this flagfield has a certain value.

=> in order not to change the look of this list (it is used in a big management_meeting in the morning), I would like to set that flagfield
     in a hidden field.

=> Is that possible in QlikView?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

I'm not absolutely sure but I think it will be possible then it's only visibilty-properties. I have also xls-files which have uncertain data-positions and fieldnames. To solve this I read in an additionally (hidden) sheet the positions per xls-inbuild index() and address() functions but you need definitely some logic to find these data - maybe this could be an alternatively.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

yes, it is possible (I have tested it) if the field is only made invisible.

Up to now, I have not encountered Excel_files with uncertain data_positions - well, it has always been sufficient as yet to have some flagfield highlighting the block of cells to be loaded for a certain purpose. I can usually convince the people populating Excel_lists to implement such a field as it's not much of an effort and it doesn't really disturb the look_and_feel - even less so when the field can be hidden.

Still, what you do there does sound quite awesome and I could be in need of something like that at some point. It has been a while since I've worked with Excel.

Best regards,

DataNibbler