Probably port 4750 is blocked.
When you open with plugin, the bar at the top of QV app will look exactly the same in IE.
It renders exactly the same with QV app in IE plugin. Plus the menus (properties etc.) are exactly the same; macros, triggers and some export functions work better with plugin.
It is not essential though since you need to stay away from macros, triggers etc anyway You do not need QV.exe to be installed, but you need IE plugin installed.
I'll try to serialize your different questions.
- You'll notice. The documents in IE plugin look more polished.
- Objects in IE Plugin look exactly the same as in QV Desktop. They have this typical Windows-appearance, instead of the flat HTML-appearance of the Ajax client. Also, rightmouseclickmenus will look like real windows menus.
- Select the plugin in QV AccessPoint when opening a document. If the IE plugin option doesn't appear, it may be disabled in QMC or you may not have IE plugin installed.
- Con's: IE-only, Windows-only, installation required, manual update for all platforms needed when updating the server, a bit more heavy on resource-limited platforms, will probably be phased-out sometime in the future.
Pro's: looks better, works better, feels better.
- No desktop needed. Actually IE plugin is the OCX heart of QV desktop without borders, menus or script execution engine.
- No idea. Does the same happen with other documents? Have you installed IE plugin?