13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2015 10:53 AM by Brian Helms RSS

QVB Process Hanging

Brian Helms

We are having a problem with our reloads never completing. They just hang. We currently are allowing 6 reloads at one time. This problem seems to occur when more than 6 reloads are kicked off by publisher. Today we had 12 jobs running at one time. 6 should be running, and 6 should be waiting. The problem I am seeing however, is that only one of the jobs is actually running, but the server has 8 QVB.exe processes, all but one of them stuck (RAM never moving). I then have to kill all of the QVB processes, restart the QDS, and then kick off all of the jobs again. The other strange part is then I kick off all of the failed jobs (at this point was 17), and they all run fine. 6 run, the rest wait. It runs like it should. But I am having this problem every morning when the publisher starts the jobs. Anyone seen this before? We are on QV 11.20.12235.0.

• Re: QVB Process Hanging
          Mark O'Donovan

Hi Brian,

We are currently having a problem with qlikview 11.2 SR8 distribution service in the mornings with the reloads hanging. 

I logged the problem with qlikview support yesterday and am still waiting for them to get back to me.

I can post some of the Application Event Log \ Distribution Logs tomorrow if you like to see if it is the same problem.

I'll let you know if I find a solution.

Thanks

Mark

www.techstuffybooks.com

Martin Dideriksen

I have seen something similar previously.

The workaround back then, while we were waiting for a fix/new SR, was to replace the qvb.exe file with an older version.

Not the optimal solution, but at least it worked pretty well.

Rob Wunderlich

Try ramping your processes down from 6 to 5.

-Rob

Petter Skjolden

I have encountered the similar issue in a larger deployment and these recommendations help alot with the issue of hanging and failed QVB-tasks (is has been cut from page 10 of the "QlikView Memory Managment and Hardware Guidelines" PDF):

http://community.qlik.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/684281-142698/QlikView%20Memory%20Management%20and%20Hardware%20G…

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Windows performance tuning for Publisher

Changing Desktop Heap size is necessary to run more than 10 parallel tasks in QlikView

Publisher. Change the registry setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session

Manager\SubSystems\Windows

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows

SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows

ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3

ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off

MaxRequestThreads=16

(Default is 1024,3072,512 in 32bit or 1024,3072,768 in x64)

Read more on http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/07/05/desktop-heap-part-

2.aspx

Change the GDI and User handle max count in the registry to

SharedSection=1024,20480,2048

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows

SharedSection=1024,20480,2048 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows

ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3

ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off

MaxRequestThreads=16

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Never mind that it states that it is necessary to run more than 10 parallell tasks... it does up the heap size for

Windows Services ... like QVB ... which is very necessary in many environments

Rob Wunderlich

The heap change is documented in the Server Ref Guide as well.

-Rob

Brian Helms

I have changed the processes down to 5 and have adjusted the following code in the registry. We will see tomorrow if this works, as we are having the problem daily now. Thanks for the tips.

SharedSection=1024,20480,2048

Mark O'Donovan

Hi Brian,

I am very interested to find out if you errors have gone.

I will be ftping various log files to qlik support today for them to look into the problem.

Mark

Our SharedSection=1024,20480,768 and our max qv engines is set to 4.

Below is the error we are getting in the application eventlog:

Failed to create QlikView Engine.. Exception=System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BE): Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {BE1F19B5-415E-11D1-934D-0040333C91CC} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 800706be The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE).

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)

at QVBWrapper.Document.CreateQVBProcess(ILogBucket logBucket, Boolean createEmptyDoc)

Mark O'Donovan

Hi all,

FYI

we have changed the following registry key :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows

to:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,20480,2048 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ServerDll=sxssrv,4 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

and restarted our server that is running the distribution service only.

I'll let you know tomorrow if this has sorted our problem.

Thanks

Mark

www.techstuffybooks.com