Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III

Global Smart Search & And-Mode?

Does Qlik Sense Global Smart Search support And-Mode?

Oliver

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Have you seen this video? Qlik Sense - Global Smart Search (video)

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Have you seen this video? Qlik Sense - Global Smart Search (video)

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Hi Oliver,

It depends on what you mean exactly by 'And Mode'.  When using the Smart Search you can type in multiple values that appear in a single field and Qlik Sense will select all of them (e.g. if you type 'Dog Cat' you will select on 'Dog AND Cat' from the Animals field).

If you are referring to the QlikView functionality where you create a special table to find intersections of data (what I describe in this video), then the answer is no.  This functionality does not exist in Qlik Sense at this time.  You could achieve the functionality by setting up a specific data model and using set analysis however it would be rather complex.

-Josh

Qlik

ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks, Gysbert

I've been through the video several. Let me answer indirectly the reason for posting the question in Josh's response.

Oliver

ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks, Josh

I'm a big student and beneficiary of your videos and writings, including the suggested video, which hits the mark.

For a moment, while learning Qlik Sense, I thought Global Smart Search might provide the option to "And-Mode" selections on the fly, removing the need for And-Mode scripting, as required in QlikView. For example, select field A and NOT field B.

But then I realized And-Mode fields can be searched and selected as any other field.

Oliver

ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Josh,

Can you comment whether the "AND NOT" mode is on the Qlik Sense feature road map?

For example, in your "Dog AND Cat" example above, this would be "Dog AND NOT Cat". And put another way, this would be equivalent to selecting a value in a list box and holding that selection until its highlighted in red.

Oliver

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Hi Oliver,

We do not publish our roadmap in terms of granular features such as this so unfortunately I cannot comment directly.  I can say that making it easier for people to analyze their data is on the roadmap.  Being able easily make inclusive and exclusive selections would fall under this umbrella but may or may not take the same form as QlikView.   Generally the follow up question I get is regarding timelines.  What I can say there is we'd like to do everything at once but of course cannot so we do our best to prioritize the most impactful features and balance the short term with the long term (never easy to do!).  I will pass your feedback to our R&D team as customer feedback is a factor we consider of course.

Sorry I cannot give you a simple yes or no but I hope this gives you insight.

-Josh

Qlik

ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks, Josh

Not applicable

To find the intersection of (a and NOT b), do as follows:

1. Search for and select the data value “a” in global search
  2. Search for and select the data value “b” in global search
  3. In the selection bar, select the field that relates to the value “b” and pick “Select alternative”