10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2015 11:05 AM by Rajinder Singh RSS

Qlik View or Qlik Sense ?

Hello, my first day looking at Qlik, please forgive my newbieness.

I need to build a proof of concept application in 2 days.  I have a very simple working Excel "application" that we need to build sa a Qlik application, and I'm not sure whether to use View or Sense.  I also would love any pointers as to how I might pull this off asap without any previous experience in Qlik.

The app is very simple.  The user see's a crosstab with a

• List of Product Names going down
      • List of Rating Criteria going across - each factor having a Name and a Weighting factor (0.0-1.0)

Thats the data.  Now the functions

• The user types a score into each cell in the matrix, i.e. Product/Criterion
      • The application calculates the weighted score for each Product/Criterion and sums them up for a Product Weighted Scrore
      • These are then visualized in a stacked bar chart, with perhaps some groovy sliders to adjust weighing criteria.  
      • The user needs to be able add/delete both Products and Criteria

The data does not need to reside in a server or be shared - other than perhaps sending someone a file.

Should I do this in View or Sense ?  Also, should I represent the data as 2 relational tables ?

2-12-2015 7-43-30 PM.png

• Re: Qlik View or Qlik Sense ?
          Oleg Troyansky

Looking at your Buttons and Sliders, I'd say - QlikView, not Sense (unless the February version introduces that, I haven't seen it yet...)

Also, if you are a newbie, it's not going to be an easy task in two days...

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

www.masterssummit.com - take your QlikView skills to the next level!

Wow !  Appreciate the Qwik comment !   Based on your statement I'm assuming that the user can add/remove/update data in QlikView, i.e. not just view it

Re: newbieness, that's what I've been fearing.  I've watched many tutorial videos, and I'm expecting to just follow a bunch of examples until I've learned what all the objects are and how they relate to each other.  I was hoping to find an example of how to take an existing simple Excel "Application" and re-create it in QlikView.   (macros, hidden sheets, etc).

If you know of any such examples or tutorials or discussions, I'd me much obliged to learn. 

BTW, I have extensive experience in SQL and VBScript .. I just havent gotten my head around the equivalents between Excel's objects and Qlik's, e.g. Sheets in Excel vs Tables? in Qlik ?  Hidden sheets or Class objects?  UI events and code behind, etc.

Anyway, this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun - even if it takes too long to get up to speed ;-)

Thanks

Oleg Troyansky

Let me address your questions one by one:

<<<Based on your statement I'm assuming that the user can add/remove/update data in QlikView, i.e. not just view it>>>

Not quite... What I meant was that in QlikView you can use buttons to cause Actions to happen, and you can use Input Boxes and Sliders to set variables for what-if simulations. None of that is supported yet in Sense (again, I haven't seen the latest release yet, maybe it's there...)

<<<I was hoping to find an example of how to take an existing simple Excel "Application" and re-create it in QlikView.   (macros, hidden sheets, etc). >>>

That, unfortunately, doesn't exist. There is no conversion path from Excel macros, formulas etc... to QlikView.

<<<Anyway, this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun - even if it takes too long to get up to speed ;-) >>>

That's almost guaranteed!