4 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2009 7:23 PM by vidyut.verma RSS

Vintage Analysis in QlikView

Shumail Hussain

Hi,

I am doing month on month analysis and the data present on the database is completely in a de-normalized form for the quick access of data. This table has 400K records and more than 40 fields. I am currently working on Status field which is changed on monthly basis i.e. A or P or S. The denormalization is performed in such a manner that on monthly basis i have created a new field and update all the status on it. The field name is look like {Month}AP{Year} and I update it with each record status (A or P) monthly. I am facing problem while i am going to perform trend analysis on it.

Can I use these fields for the trend analysis (Line Chart) on QlikView?

[Code]

[/Code]

• Vintage Analysis in QlikView
          ewasserman

The easiest solution would likely be to normalize the data in the load script.

Probably the best way to do this is to load a seperate table from the same data which has one or several keys to join to main data, and a date column which you calculate, one or more value columns.

vidyut.verma

Yes, You can.

If you have Date Dimension in a different field (Month/Year) then for the expression, you could use the substring function to get A/P Value and its count etc.

If you provide a sample file with the image of what chart you want to see in the model, that would help.

Shumail Hussain

Dear Vidyut!

No there is no date dimension in the table. I am using the field name as date dimension like JanAP08, FebAP08, MarAP08,.... and this field contains A / P value. Below is the sample grid and graph for your reference,

vidyut.verma

Hi,

This actually is a cross table. So why don't you convert it to a straight table using the 'CrossTable(MonthYr,APValue) ' and link it to the main table using the common key.

This way all the fieldNames will come in the 'MonthYr' field ( You can process it further to delete the AP in the string ), and the A/P Value coming as corresponding Value.

The tables should be defined so that the analysis is easy. In this case, using crosstable will provide you a better/easy model, IMHO

Best Regards,

Vidyut