cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Another idea! Qlik Sense Calendar Selection Tool

Calendar Selection Tool

Calendar Selection Tool icon.png

All my apps have a date dimension or several. I think that I am not alone. What I would like to see is calendar selection tool with a built-in calendar dimension. You define the master date dimension in the load script and you should be able to customize the calendar dimensions. Dateformat for Year, Month, Date, YearMonth, Week, etc all the usual stuff and some help fields for point in time calculations like MonthId and WeekID. It's also good to have a Today expression variable("=Today()-1") so the selection tool can have some quick selection buttons like, last 7 days or YTD. All customizable, of course. And a on open default time period selection, based of the today variable.

Qlik Sense have the potential to be great some day, and I think it need to take date selection and calendar dimensions seriously and create a truly next generation solution that works for 90% of the common date manipulation cases.

Here are some very useful links

http://qlikviewcookbook.com/2012/01/easy-period-analysis-using-qlikview-components/

Point In Time Reporting Out Of The Box | iQlik - Everything QlikView.

I think best in class calendar selection tools is the calendar widget in Google Analytics. That should be the inspiration and base-line.

Google Analytics.png

What Google Analytics does that can't be done in Qlikview or Qlik Sense, without some clever dimensions, link tables and complicated set analysis expressions, is displaying as of date measures/dimensions in a chart. Take a look at an extension of mine to see how I implemented it without any clever dimensions, link tables and complicated set analysis expressions the user needs to know.

thumbnail.png

http://branch.qlik.com/projects/showthread.php?408-Compare-Period-Chart

Hope this find it's way to the R&D at QlikTech or that they are all already working on it and ready for release.

If others here find this interesting I might take the time to create some mock-ups of my vision.

Cheers

Karl

4 Replies
elif-tutuk
Former Employee
Former Employee

Thanks a lot Karl for sending the idea. There are new date & time features on our roadmap, including an out of box calendar object, auto-generated customizable calender fields, and making charts date&time aware. You will start seeing some improvements in this area soon!

Thanks a lot!

Elif.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply Elif.

Can't wait for those improvments. With 1.1.0 you are hopefully laying the foundations for great things to come.

The release notes said that charts should be date&time aware but I can't see what that is. Looks the same as before to me.

I have another addition to my Calendar Selection Tool. The current selection should say date aware stuff like instead of Date 9 of 365, 2015-01-01 to 2015-01-09 or if you selected all the dates of january it should say jan-2015 or what your locale date format is.

Hope you at Qlik could share the roadmap in the future.

Karl

Allardata
Creator
Creator

An out of box calendar object

That would be very useful for selecting a date range in the application I'm building. Any updates on this matter?

Or maybe an alternative (like a user/custom extension) that you know of?

sanketkhunte
Creator II
Creator II

Thanks for the reply.

Where i can see roadmap you mentioned.

Sanket