Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

SQL Server: view or table for query?

Hey experts,

i have a question regarding performance for loading data via script:
In qlikview it is possible to embed tables and views of a SQL Server Sybase, SQL Anywhere (ODBC).
If i execute a query in load script, which one is faster:

SELECT * FROM View   or     SELECT * FROM Table?

Is it advisable to merge more tables to one view and execute the view in the load script?
We have a table with more than 1 milion data records and i have the creeping feeling that this would be very slow.

Thanks in advance and regards from germany

Sabrina

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

First of all, select * is not  preferable for either data from table or view..; unless all columns are required for design; it is unnecessary data with increasing weight of app or QVD.

In view, generally columns from tables which are necessary will be considered and data reduction will be already done with required sql query. So, it will be optimum to load from views than tables.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

First of all, select * is not  preferable for either data from table or view..; unless all columns are required for design; it is unnecessary data with increasing weight of app or QVD.

In view, generally columns from tables which are necessary will be considered and data reduction will be already done with required sql query. So, it will be optimum to load from views than tables.

Not applicable
Author

Select * was only an example 😉

Thanks for your answer.

So we will make views over the needed tables and load these views via load script.

Regards

Sabrina