Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulyeo11
Master
Master

pro and con is using txt file vs ODBC driver ?

Hi All

my coy have change the new accounting software . Which support ODBC driver allow QV direct access the data.

For the last 6 year I have already using QV with my old accounting software,  which does not support ODBC Driver. So I use micro to generate the all report in text file automatically at 3 am and I have a batch file which will auto reload my QV and generate one QVD file and I have a final QV doc which read the QVD and only create all report I need . Which is working fine for last 6 yr.

Since now we are changing to new accounting system and I still want to use QV for reporting .

Can some one share with me what are the pro and con of using ODBC driver instead of still generate text raw data file for QV ?

Paul

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

With a direct access to the database you saved efforts to export all needed tables/queries to txt-files which is only an additional step. Further your database contained always the current state from the data - by your txt-files you need extra logics and checks to be sure that the data are always correct. Also you are by direct db-queries more flexible to change/adjust the data-structures (maybe to add fields, combine tables …) whereas the txt-files needed to be (all) replaced. The possibility to use login-credentials could be an advantage, too.

Nevertheless you will benefit from incremental load methods or needs them by a database access in the same way like by txt-files.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable

My knee jerk would be to use ODBC direct against the database, thus cutting out the extract to text file step.

But your 3 am daily extract to a singe text file, load to a single QVD and load to a single dashboard sounds simple and has done you well for 6 years.

So I would say stick to your text file extract method.

paulyeo11
Master
Master
Author

Hi All

Thank you very much for both your advise.

So since I already have the report created..so I will Make QV access my new accounting text file . So that it will not affect my report.

Once it success in the next ver I will use ODBC,  and build.from zero.

Paul