8 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2015 5:48 PM by Michael Reagan RSS

What's Best Practice? straight table vs a container grid

Matt Mohon

I've been working along with someone else to accomplish some analytics dashboards in qlik.  I'm new and just learning.  I dove in, and charged ahead using the project to cut my teeth on, even though we have another pro working on the project as well.

We approached things differently and I was curious as to what's better?

Is there a performance reason he did it his way, and why I shouldn't do it my way.

Is there web rendering issue?

He approached it with a Straight table,

Dimension: Value List( A, B, C)

Expressions: PICK(row(),Expr1,Expr2,Expr3)

I approached it with a container grid object 3 by 2 with text objects filling it. The text objects had the appropriate expression sources. I see the container grid object as kinda a "div" or table in web speak, and I use it to layout my sheets accordingly.  I next containers within containers and what not.

He littered the same expressions throughout the sheet,.

I recognized commonly used expressions and assigned them to variables.  Then I littered the variables throughout the sheet.  I would assume that my method was more sustainable for maintenance and quicker to implement.  I was doing as he had done, but then changed to the variable method and moved much more quickly.

Is this just a "qlik has a lot of ways to accomplish the same thing, and y'all just do thing differently"   or is there a reason I should not approach it as I should?