5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2015 4:34 AM by Daniel Balchasan RSS

Open ended periods VS Calendar

Daniel Balchasan

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Qlik, and I'm working on designing my data model. I've been trying to set up a model where I have a period and I'm linking this period to a master calendar table.

While I tried doing this with periods with an end date, it worked fine. However when I included open ended periods in my data set, I came across an issue. My code for creating the bridge table between the Transfers table (trans) and the Master Calendar table

// ============ Create the Transfers_Calendar ============

Trans_Calendar:

Load

FROM_DATE as Trans_DATE,

Month(FROM_DATE) as Trans_MONTH;

Load

Date(MinDate+iterno()) as FROM_DATE

While iterno() <= MaxDate - MinDate ;

Load

Min(FROM_DATE)-1 as MinDate,

max(TO_DATE) as MaxDate

Resident TRANS

;

// ============ Create the bridge table between the Transfers and the Transfers_Calendar ============

Trans_x_Dates: 

Load

TRANS_ID,

left(Date( FROM_DATE + IterNo() - 1 ),10) as Trans_DATE

Resident TRANS

While IterNo() <= TO_DATE - FROM_DATE + 1 ;

It's pretty obvious that it wont create a link when the end date is a null.

I've tried looking into a solution where I create a fictional end date (like 2099-12-31), but that increases the size of my data by a very large factor.

This is the most common scenario for me, as I use the periods to show changes in a 'Status' of a client (Active, Inactive, Frozen) and most of the periods don't have an end date.

I wanted to ask what is the best practice for handling open periods?

Thanks beforehand  

• Re: Open ended periods VS Calendar
          Marcus Sommer

I don't understand what do you want to do with the bridge-table. Normally it wouldn't be needed to link a fact-table to a master-calendar. For many different date-fields you could use these approach: Canonical Date.

- Marcus

Daniel Balchasan

Hey Marcus,

My data model contains a slowly changing dimension called "Transfers". It shows the periods where a member belongs to a certain "Home Club" (Numerical value). It's a table with: From_Date, To_Date , Person_ID, Home_Club_ID.

What I'm trying to do is to be able to choose a point in time (a day), and be able to count how many people are listed at each "Home Club" at that point in time.

I used code from the post by HIC in :

Creating Reference Dates for Intervals

In order to be able to link each day to the appropriate periods.

Is this the correct approach to what I'm trying to do?

Marcus Sommer

I think these links fit better in your case:

IntervalMatch

IntervalMatch and Slowly Changing Dimensions

- Marcus

Jonathan Dienst

I think that is the correct article and approach. To handle the open ended dates, I assume that you mean that TO_DATE would be null. You could try something like:

While IterNo() <= Alt(TO_DATE - FROM_DATE + 1 , 90);

Select a value that makes sense in your data set, or else try:

While IterNo() <= Alt(TO_DATE, Today()) - FROM_DATE + 1;

to use today's date as the 'fill-in' for null TO_DATEs

Daniel Balchasan

Thanks for your reply,

I thought about taking a value which is relative to 'Today' as the end date (E.g today + 5 years), but I was concerned about the efficiency of having to update all (or most of) my periods every day. I was hoping to have a setup where I only import new data and 'Changes' to existing entries, instead of reloading my whole data set on a daily basis.

Also,

I was thinking this is a strange way to approach this. Eventually I will end up with a table that has an entry for each 'person' and each day since he started. So basically the size is based on people multiplied by days. When I have 2 million people over a period of 10 years, it sounds like a whole lot of data, that should be optimized somehow.

I know that Qlik has some good methods to normalize and compact data. Do you know how feasible it is to work with a data set like that?