Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Joins over more than one field

My colleague and I got into a discussion about what happens when you (A) use several fields in a join in Qlikview as opposed to (B) just one field.

I did (A) quite often when I did not want to create additional keys by concatenating fields for simple tasks like for example creating a filter table for use in a left keep when loading a subset of data from a qvd. You drop the filter table after the load and so far I thought nothing bad was going to happen (the synthetic key qlikview uses in between is lost with the drop table).

My colleague is totally opposed to ever using more than one field in any kind of join in QlikView ever. His reasoning is that joins over more than one field do not work correctly in QlikView and synthetic keys are a sign for cartesian products or otherwise "wrongly" joined tables.

I could demonstrate with an example that nothing unexpected or wrong seemed to happen when you do joins over more than one field, apart from the synthetic key you will probably want to get rid of before the QlikView data model is finished. He still does not believe me (and maybe I am wrong?) so we thought to pose this question to the experts here.

Thank you for your input!

0 Replies