8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2015 4:19 AM by Philipp Schöck RSS

Dimension Vs Expression

Philipp Schöck

Hi all,

I work for a few months with qv, but I noticed that I know the difference between a dimension and an expression not quite clear.

Is it like a math-functions?

Each x-value is assigned to exactly one y-value but each y-value can be assigned to any number of x-values?

So x would be the dimension and y would be the expression?

It would be really nice if somebody could help me with this.

I really want to understand and I really want to have a strong basic knowledge.

Many Thanks

• Re: Dimension Vs Expression
          Jonathan Dienst

Not exactly like a maths function.

Simply put:

Expressions are the measures or metrics, such as cost, profit, wait-time, etc that you are reporting on or interrogating.

Dimensions are the attributes you will use to filter and display the measures, such as customer, salesperson, region, product code.

• Re: Dimension Vs Expression
            Friedrich Hofmann

Hi Philipp,

yes, dimensions and expressions are just like you learned in math. You have a dimension along the x-axis (horizontally) and an expression on the y-axis (vertical) - usually. There is an option to turn that around in QlikView so that you can make a barchart (which normally has vertical bars) go horizontally. That way, you can have a chart that has horizontal bars going to the right and to the left off a line in the middle of the screen.

The usual case, though, is the regular understanding of dimension vs expression.

For ex., you want to chart "sales volume per sales_person" - so the sales_persons (their names or IDs) will be your dimension and your expression will be sth like the sum of their respective sales figures.

HTH