Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calculate and Assign Decile on load

Hi There

I have a dataset which contains customers and their associated profit value.

I am trying to create a decile view of this data by assigning each customer a decile value during the load script.

Whilst researching this problem in the QlikView Community I have managed to reuse a calculated dimension suggested for a similar problem.  The expression is formatted like this;

=IF(PROFIT <= FRACTILE(TOTAL PROFIT, 0.1), 'Decile01',

IF(PROFIT <= FRACTILE(TOTAL PROFIT, 0.2), 'Decile02',

IF(PROFIT <= FRACTILE(TOTAL PROFIT, 0.3), 'Decile03',

...etc

....and this works for charts and tables and dynamic interaction (well almost - the distribution isnt exactly in 10% chunks but close).

However, I want to able able to assign the Decile value\name as a fixed attribute for each customer during the load process so I'd have a new column called "DecileNumber" or similar.  Using a calculated dimension in the QVW layer doesn't give me the a fixed value that I can work with.

My real data set is quite large (i.e. several million customers).

Any suggestions appreciated!

JW

6 Replies
Kushal_Chawda

Have you tried?

Load customer,

F(PROFIT <= FRACTILE(TOTAL PROFIT, 0.1), 'Decile01',

IF(PROFIT <= FRACTILE(TOTAL PROFIT, 0.2), 'Decile02',

IF(PROFIT <= FRACTILE(TOTAL PROFIT, 0.3), 'Decile03'))) as Decile

From table

group by customer

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jason,

for script side load see attached example

You will get idea how to do this.

you need to modify the expression as required

Thanks

BKC

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Thank you for the response.  When I use the suggested script I get a failure on load;

Aggregation expression required by Group by clause

JW

Not applicable
Author

Hi There

Thank you.  I have tried this and it almost works but I can't get the nested IF statement to work.

Do you have any ideas on what the syntax should be?

Thanks

JW

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you explain if you are getting error on your nested If or FRACTILE() function is causing the issue ?

Thanks

BKC

Not applicable
Author

Hi Balkumar

I am working with your example QVW and I have updated example to include 10 customers (A to K). 

In your exampke you commented that I needed to "Input my IF Statement here" but I have got stuck trying expand the IF statement in your example QVW by using IF statements applied to the vTotalSales variable that you created.  When that didnt work I also tried using the FRACTILE statements which I applied to TOTAL Sales.

The attached text file shows the 4 examples I have tried (commented) and their outcomes.  None of these worked.

Based on these 10 example customers and the way which I have applied the example sales value, the desired outcome would be for each customer to be in 1 of the deciles. Of course my "real" problem data is customer and profit but if I can get your example QVW to display what I need then I can adapt to my real problem.

Thanks

JW