Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karthik3
Creator III
Creator III

I could access as a network folder from Qlikview but from Qlik sense access denied - Why?

Hi,

Recently I was unable to access a network folder and our system administrator gave me access to it. Now I Could go from qlikview and access the network path but from Qlik sense it gives me Access denied error, Why?

Both Qlikview and sense run on a user login which has administrator rights.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Karthik3
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks all for your replies.

Qlik engine service seems to be running in Local system account whereas all other services seems to be running under the service user. Changed engine service to run under service user and everything is fine.

@Thomas

I decided to use the same terminology of Qlik w.r.t Sense software

Qlik Sense

Qlik Sense Desktop

Regards,

Karthik

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jschrader
Contributor III
Contributor III

In Qlik Sense, there is a data connection security rule and a folder data connection security rule. The data connection security rule allows for access to all data connection types except folders. Out of the box, users are assigned the data connection rule. Another rule, folder data connection, allows for Root, Content, and Security admins to access folders. If you need access to folders, then you will need an admin to either remove the folder restriction on the data connection security rule, or add you to the folder connection security rule.

https://help.qlik.com/sense/1.1/en-US/online/Subsystems/ManagementConsole/Content/ServerUserGuide/SU...

Here is a link to a possible why to change your security setting.

Karthik3
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I could access many network folders without having to edit any security rules in Sense. It's just some folders I am facing access denied error. I could open them in windows and also access them via qlikview. If I add myself as user under folder properties->Security->Edit then I could access them via sense also.

Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

Hi Karthik,

first question would be, are you using a Sense Server or the Desktop ? I assume it is the Server ? If it is the Server then you have to know that accessing a folder in your network will be done by your Service user which is the one who is running all your Sense services.

Of course it is possible to give people only access to their folders by using security rules in Sense but the file access itself will be still handled by your service account.

Have a look here as well if you need more details for instance about the default standard mode and the legacy mode: File system access restriction

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Hopp
Senior Product Manager - Cloud Native Platform
Karthik3
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks all for your replies.

Qlik engine service seems to be running in Local system account whereas all other services seems to be running under the service user. Changed engine service to run under service user and everything is fine.

@Thomas

I decided to use the same terminology of Qlik w.r.t Sense software

Qlik Sense

Qlik Sense Desktop

Regards,

Karthik