Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Header lines in an Excel file to LOAD

Hi,

I'm again having trouble with the nr. of header lines in an Excel file that we get from a customer and that I have to load to analyze it: There are two sheets,

- one has 6 lines above the column_headers (counted in Excel)

- one has 5 lines above the column_headers (counted in Excel)

QlikView, however, seems to automatically delete one line on the first sheet where there is nothing at all - there is some text starting in line #2 - so specifying 5 header_lines in the LOAD_wizard works for both sheets.

I wonder why that is? Does QlikView do that, is that expected behaviour? I just want to know whether I can rely on that ...

Can anybody help me out there?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Qlikview reads nothing from an Excel line that is completely blank. It seems to be repeatable. I had a problem with an application that had to count the number of lines and it would not count the blank lines, so I had to put dummy text in a column in those blank lines so the count would be correct. (And I think that was Qlikview V9 or V10)

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Qlikview reads nothing from an Excel line that is completely blank. It seems to be repeatable. I had a problem with an application that had to count the number of lines and it would not count the blank lines, so I had to put dummy text in a column in those blank lines so the count would be correct. (And I think that was Qlikview V9 or V10)

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

I'm not sure but I believe this is an expected behavior - to ignore rows without any content. You could try to load the data without labels and extra header or something similar - to see if any option changed this.

By newer excel with xlsx-extension could it be possible to load the file not as excel else as xml-file - have never tried it but it might work. Also could a qdbc sql-load have another behavior: ODBC connection to Excel file.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Jonathan,

okay. So I guess I can rely on that.

It's relevant because I document the function and use of every app I make, so I will write to just count the lines above the column_headers, not counting completely blank lines, and to specify that number - there are some input_boxes in my script which has to be run locally anyway.

Thanks a lot!