Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there any easy way to import SSRS reports to Qlikview

As a new user I'm wondering whether there is any easy way to import SSRS reports/definitions - some with code etc into Qlikview.

I'm guessing it would be worth exploring excel as a middleman?

Thanks

Brian

2 Replies
tunnelview
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, your suggestion of a possible solution, i.e. having excel as a middle man definitely throws light on having an additional layer, where getting the data from the SSRS report, storing and saving it at one place and then selecting those files from Qlik View. 

I am keen to know would you automate the SSRS report (not just scheduling of the report) but also enabling it so that it gets saved at one place, keeping in mind that the existing report (already downloaded or stored report at the same location) gets refreshed with the fresh load. Therefore, every time Qlik View gets reloaded, it has the fresh data.

I have a similar situation, where I have a large SSRS report, 20 pages long SSRS report. Each page has a dataset (i.e. an SQL script) that queries the Database and respective tables, loads the report for a specific page. I am looking for suggestions myself as to how to bring in the data. Should I make a view for each dataset and that will end up having about 20 tabs.

tunnelview
Contributor
Contributor

After my post, I tried this approach. I have 30 data sets and for each of them I created a batch file. Each batch file, when executed, creates a .csv file and stores it in the location you provide. Notice that every time I run the batch file it refreshes the data with the new data in the .csv files. These batch files can be scheduled as 30 sql jobs, and if any one of them is not running or throwing an error, it will be spotted immediately. 

Here is the command I used to create these batch files. 

SQLCMD -S Server Name -d Database -E -Q "Query" -s "," -o "locationPath"

Now, the next step is to get these csv files into Qlik View engine. In my case my Qlik View project is planned out in stages, which means, I have extraction, transformation (QVD Optimization) and scripts stage. The QVW application that is designed to only extract the data from the source to the destination can also be scheduled to bring in fresh load. I haven't done it yet(Scheduling a QVW for extraction), but that's what I gathered from my reading so far. In a nutshell, all I am trying to do is that every time the script reloads, it should ideally fetch the latest data stored in the csv files as result of the batch file execution.