Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Source Data in the form of an excel in share point?

Hi If I have source data in the form of an excel in share point, can the report directly call the source file on the share point instead of a source file in a local location? If so how? Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Kieron,

What I posted, does not ONLY take the text from a web page - it would do that if the source was an HTML table for example as if reference an .html page. However if the source is an excel file for example accessible from a URL, it will parse it as an excel file. However as I stated, this is an un-secure approach if the server requires authentication. Also as Bjorn has stated, if you can access the file via a UNC path, as shown, then that is another approach. The Qlik engine service account (if using Qlik Sense server) or the id logged into the workstation used to access Qlik Sense (if desktop) would need appropriate access rights to the file location in order to retrieve it.

Don't forget the SharePoint connector from QVSource might be the other alternative.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Kieron,

Is this for QlikView or Qlik Sense? I assume Qlik Sense as you posted this in the Qlik Sense forum.

Do you mean like accessing the excel file through the SharePoint filesystem which is accessible via a web URL used within SharePoint?

If so you might want to check out this video - which shows how to use the Web data connector:

Data Load Editor - Loading Web Data (video)

available from here: New to Qlik Sense Videos

Note though - this does not contain any configuration for authentication, so the URL would have to be accessible without security.

NOTE: If you want a secure connection / specifci connector, you can take a look at QVSource - chrisbrain‌ from QVSource might be able to assist you: Sharepoint Connector For QlikView - QVSource: The QlikView & Qlik Sense API Connector (Docs).

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi, thanks for your help but not quite what I'm looking for (I don't believe).

I think what is suggested above just takes the text from the web page it self? What I am after is; an excel file is stored on a sharepoint and I would like QlikSense to be able to get the data from that excel directly from sharepoint without having to download the excel file first. If this is possible?

Thanks

Bjorn_Wedbratt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Kieron,

See if you can create a Folder connection in Qlik Sense using the UNC path for your Sharepoint document list. For example, if you try accessing the Sharepoint document list using:

http://mysharepoint/sites/mysite/Documents

Try the following in Windows Explorer:

\\mysharepoint\sites\mysite\Documents

If this UNC works in Windows Explorer, use it when setting up the Folder connection in Qlik Sense, and you should be able to browse for documents in your Sharepoint document list.

Best,

Bjorn

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Kieron,

What I posted, does not ONLY take the text from a web page - it would do that if the source was an HTML table for example as if reference an .html page. However if the source is an excel file for example accessible from a URL, it will parse it as an excel file. However as I stated, this is an un-secure approach if the server requires authentication. Also as Bjorn has stated, if you can access the file via a UNC path, as shown, then that is another approach. The Qlik engine service account (if using Qlik Sense server) or the id logged into the workstation used to access Qlik Sense (if desktop) would need appropriate access rights to the file location in order to retrieve it.

Don't forget the SharePoint connector from QVSource might be the other alternative.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik