24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2015 10:14 AM by Vishwarath Nagaraju RSS

Keep source Formatting

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Hello Experts,

Is there any way to keep source formatting from qlikview, when Pixel perfect is used. For eg: I have a table and used Level to get the fields on to the Pixel perfect template. As my Straight table in Qlikview has calculated dimension where I am displaying two fields in one single dimension with a carriage return.

But in Npritning i cannot use Keep source formatting when pixel perfect is used.

Any ideas please let me know. ??

Thanks,
      V.

• Re: Keep source Formatting
          Adam Krepistman

I am not aware of that ability within PixelPerfect, like it existis in other tempaltes, such as excel.

In PixelPerfect you are basically rebuilding the report.  Is there a specific reason for PixelPerfect as opposed to other templates that contain that functionality?

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Hello Adam,

Thanks very much for your reply. My client wants to generate the report in PDF itself. So, just wondering if any alternative way of giving a carriage return in those rows??

Any ideas??

Adam Krepistman

you can use any office template (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) to generate the report in a pdf format, so if you are using PixelPerfect just for PDF, you have other options

If you right click on the chart and send to Excel, if your format looks OK that way, I would suggest using an Excel NPrinting template, but when you build your task, use pdf as output format for that report

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Sorry Adam, I quite did not get it. Please correct me, You mean built the report using excel and then in the On-demand button settings just change the format to PDF is that what you are mentioning here. As i have 6 graphs and two tables to be generated into one single PDF. Would you mind elaborating a little bit, I feel i understood bits and pieces here.

Please do the needful.

Thanks
                      V.

Adam Krepistman

You will need to build a single report in Nprinting using whichever tempalte works best - the tempalte will include the 6 graphs and 2 tables, since that is your report.  This is done the same way whether you are generating the report through a schedule or on-demand.  You can place the report in a task and in the task specify the output as pdf - your on demand button can call the task (you can also have the on demand button call the report as well and specify output type as pdf)

attached is an nprinting training environment - if you open the sales demo with ajax qvw and look at the On Demand tab there is a good example of what you want to do - use excel to generate a pdf

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Hello Adam, This sounds interesting and would give a try. However, could you please help me understand the below statement how i can call from On demand button I mean?? Highlighted in bold underlined below

You can place the report in a task and in the task specify the output as pdf - your on demand button can call the task (you can also have the on demand button call the report as well)

Thanks,
                              V.

Adam Krepistman

when you add your NPrinting extension objects, you can add na NP Report or NP Task object - one will call  a report(s) and one will call task(s).  The report or task the button calls will be in the Properties of the object in either Report Settings or Task settings, depending on the object you are using.  Report settings privide an output format where you can define the output format of the report - task does not provide that since the task specifies the output format

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Hello Adam,

Thanks very much i tried using Power Point Report, but for the tables I have added two tables with keep source formatting checked but when i previewed it as said there are two fields with a carriage returns showing as single field in my straight table. It does not do the carriage return when pulled into Nprinting. And my table has got 15 rows and it is going out of the page, i mean some of rows are truncated and not going to the next page. Any settings to be looked into here?? Please advise?

Thanks,
                                      V.

Adam Krepistman

Unfortunately I ahve never dealt with carriage returns included in the data.

Is there a specific reason why the carriage returns are needed?  How did you get the carriage return in the QlikView application

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Hello Adam I use Chr(13) for New line like

Field1 & Chr(13) & Chr(13) &

Field2

Is what I used.

And does the Powerpoint page does not take auto paging like, as mentioned it only shows 10 rows and the remaining rows are truncated.

Any ideas??

Adam Krepistman

unfortuantely I do not know what to tell you about carriage returns - it may not be supported in NPrinting, or it may have limittions, and your best bet is to talk with a support rep

PowerPoint does not do paging like other templates where if you ahve a table and it exceeds a page it goes to the next - PowerPoint, functionality wise, probably hs the least

Excel has the most, followed by Pixel Perfect/Word

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Thanks very much Adam for your prompt replies. Will keep you posted with more different queries if I am stuck. I will fiddle around with PPT and Excel templates as you have suggested for better output and hope will end up with some positive output.

Appreciate your help. Thanks a ton.

V.

Adam Krepistman

thanks - Excel or Pixel Perfect

PowerPoint is good when using objects for a presentation but just like when you use PowerPoint on its own, there is not a lot of room for large tables or many items on a slide

good luck

Vishwarath Nagaraju

True Adam, I agree. So i am trying using excel. So just a quick question, how can i reduce the page when printing to PDF. I mean I want 4 graphs on 4 individual pages. So when i create using excel template, on four different sheets I will be putting these graphs but when viewed in PDF it is coming very small with a lot of empty space. Any ideas on this??

Thanks,
                                                              V.

Adam Krepistman

the image should be the same size by default as the image in QlikView - make sure on each sheet you have your height and width set to 1 page (default is automatic and you never know what you will get)

If you can possibly send me a qvw with the images, I can see try and take a look

You can also put the images on 1 sheet and add page breaks within Excel

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Thanks Adam, Unfortunately I cannot send you any qvw. Will try and build some dummy data and send you, once i try your suggestions and get back.

Thanks,
                                                                      V.

Adam Krepistman

I understand about the data - you can also scramble it if you want

make a copy of the qvw, go into settings/document properties and selct the Scrambling tab.  Pick the fields you want to scramble and then click the scramble button.  The will scramble the data in those fields.

Note - the only way to unscramble is to reload the data (this is why it is best to have a completeley different version of qvw wfor just the scrmbled data)

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Hello Adam,

Sorry did not create a new topic for this query. Just a quick help on this Alternate State. I know this feature is not supported in Npritning right now. However, was looking into this below link for some ideas. Can you help me understand on what exactly Gary Starder was talking about in his response from the below link. 

Implemantation of the alternate state feature – Customer Feedback for Vizubi

I tried copying the charts and hid the tab but no good in the final output. When i do a preview in the Nprinting designer client it picks up the alternate state but when printed from Access Point it does not pick up. Wondering if i am doing something wrong.

Please do the needful.

Thanks,
                                                                          V.

Adam Krepistman

what I believe he is saying is theat he has created an NPrinting tab within his application but hides it to the user.  On that NPrinting tab, he has the same objects but is using the default state of the objects instead of alternate state

he is doing this just so the nprinting report somehwat duplicates alternate state for the report

It is a workaround, as you ahve said since NPrinting does not support the feature - I did not see enough detail in the response to know exactly what he is doing

The concept of building a seperate, hidden nprinting tab to have objects in a different representation for reports only is not uncommon

Vishwarath Nagaraju

Oops missed that. Thanks very much Adam for your time. Will look into that zip file you have sent.

Please ignore my previous reply on OnDemand.

Thanks very much, will try and get back. Appreciate your time.

Thanks,
                                                          V.