Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surajap123
Creator II
Creator II

Various ways to force associations

Hi,

I know qlikview associate tables with common field name(case sensitive). But i think there are many ways to force the associations without linking the fields, as i see tables that are totally disconnected with each other, still shows associated values when we put those fields in listbox.

May i know various ways to force the associations and why do we do that?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Can you post an example that does associations without associations between fields?

As fas as I know, there are only two ways to get associative behavior:

• Use QlikView associative logic by defining key fields. This offers the best performance in all cases
  • Simulate associative logic using date islands and IF() calls inside your expressions. Often used to enable disable expression columns in a straight/pivot table. However performnce may take a dive when applied to large data sets.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Can you link to one of those examples with disconnected tables being associated?

I could think of a way using triggers, to make selections in one table based on selections in another, disconnected table, but I think that's quite special.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Can you post an example that does associations without associations between fields?

As fas as I know, there are only two ways to get associative behavior:

• Use QlikView associative logic by defining key fields. This offers the best performance in all cases
  • Simulate associative logic using date islands and IF() calls inside your expressions. Often used to enable disable expression columns in a straight/pivot table. However performnce may take a dive when applied to large data sets.

Best,

Peter

surajap123
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks!

I can think of only the ways you both mentioned.