2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2015 2:45 PM by Oleg Troyansky RSS

Question from a new guy

Hello all,

I am new to Qlik Desktop so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I do however have a fair amount of BI experience so I know something of what I am trying to achieve.

I am setting up a dashboard for directors in my company and want to create a KPI which divides one KPI by another KPI.

I have 2 KPI's on the sheet which are:

1. Total Analysis Hours - KPI is a calculated measure using the following sum(if Type ='Sample Analysis',Hours))

2. Total Samples Analysed -  sum(Samples Analysed)

I want to be able to divide the total analysed by the hours in order to provide a average time it has taken to analyse a sample.

How can this be done easily? Please feel free to suggest a totally new approach if the above is wrong.

Thanks!

Kevin.

• Re: Question from a new guy
          Massimo Grossi

maybe

sum(if Type ='Sample Analysis',Hours))

/

sum(Samples Analysed)     (or count, count distinct?)

• Re: Question from a new guy
            Oleg Troyansky

Hi Kevin,

if you are looking for a way to divide one Measure (as a Master Item) by another measure, then I don't think it's possible to do... Basically, you have two choices:

1. Good ol' copy and paste:

sum(Samples Analysed) / sum(if Type ='Sample Analysis',Hours))

(the syntax is a bit incorrect, but I preserved your original spelling)

2. Using variables. You can assign variables in the data load script and then re-use the existing variables to divide one by another. Something like this:

SET exp_Hours = sum(if Type ='Sample Analysis',Hours));

SET exp_SamplesAnalysed = sum(Samples Analysed);

In the UI, you can use the following as Measures:

Hours:    $(exp_Hours)

Samples: $(exp_Samples)

Avg:        $(exp_Samples)/$(exp_Hours)

check out my new book QlikView Your Business - you will learn more about using variables to store your calculations and a lot more advanced stuff about QlikView and Qlik Sense.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense