2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2015 11:09 AM by Andy Weir RSS

Calculating members of a dimension

Simon Hogg

It's Friday afternoon, I'm tired, and I can't think of the correct answer so I'm hoping someone here can put me straight;

How do I perform calculations within a dimension?  For example, let's suppose I have a country dimension in my database.  How do I compare one country to another?

Eg:

France               <--- from database

Germany            <--- from database

Spain                 <--- from database

Spain as % of (France+Germany+Spain).    <--- this is calculated.

(I'm actually trying to re-create a P&L with margin calculations;

Sales,

Commission,

Commission as % of Sales

the dimension is the lines of the P&L, the measures are "Actuals", "Forecast", etc.)

• Re: Calculating members of a dimension
          Henric Cronström

If France, Germany and Spain are the three selected (or possible) countries, you can create a pivot table that shows Sum(Sales) / Sum(total Sales). This will be the percentages.

HIC

• Re: Calculating members of a dimension
            Andy Weir

If you actually wanted to find the differences between one country and another you could use an extension (like qsVariable but I belive there are others) and create variables vCountryA and vCountryB to setup a sheet that would allow to compare like with like.

sum({$ <Country={$(vCountryA)}>} Yourmeasure) Vs sum({$ <Country={$(vCountryB)}>} Yourmeasure)

Hope this helps although on a Friday I may have just complicated this

Regards

Andy