19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2015 8:36 AM by chi tran RSS

qlik sense responsive

Hi,

I design my visualizations on a 1920x1080 resolution, and when i change in a lower resolution, for example 1280x768, all the legends disappear. I though that Qlik sense is responsive and the visualization is adapted to any resolution? Could someone help me on that?

many thanks

ps: i am using v2.0.2 build 55

• Re: qlik sense responsive
          Ralf Becher

Hi Chi,

this is part of the "responsive design" although this makes no sense in most cases. What does a bar chart (or other) say without any label?

- Ralf

Michael Tarallo

Hello Chi,

Ralf is correct, in that responsive design will adjust charts and menu properties for the most optimal and viewing experience, but there is only so much real estate that can be used. However, I am using Firefox and along with the Web Developer Tool - Responsive Design View - I was able to use 3 bar charts in a 1280x720 resolution - I adjusted the legend to display in different locations - (i am using the gradient legend here) - it does display in this resolution.

To test this in Firefox  - Tools->Web Developer->Responsive Design View

here is an example where the legend is on the right and I am coloring by dimension - note the scroll arrow that allows me to page down in the legend.

Please attach your screen shot - or sample .qvf (app) - so we can further help you.

I attached mine just in case - to make sure it works the same on your machine.

Please copy .qvf file to your C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps and refresh Qlik Sense Desktop with F5

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Ralf Becher

Very often we get almost meaningless charts w/o labels although there would be space for 3 to 4 characters:

SenseBar01.PNG

SenseBar02.PNG

- Ralf

Andy Weir

Hi Ralf you should be able to display labels even if the long values are obfuscated.  Looks a similar resolution to yours.

Note you can also expand the chart to full screen if required that makes visible content restricted by the responsive design.

Finally you can always hover over the data point or click on it to provide context.  It took our user community a little time to get used to it but they are overall pretty positive with the responsive layout.

Ralf Becher

Hi Andy,

what I meant is that the responsive design should need an overhaul to omit this kind of label-less visuals. In my case I hav a lot of charts and other UI objects and even on a small change of resolution the labels disappear for all charts. And, there is still plenty of space to show them but it doesn't. Also, it's switching to late to bring them back on resize or it prefers to show a too large ribbon instead..

A need for hovering or maximizing is a bad user experience..

- Ralf

Hi Mike,

thank you for your reply. I appreciate it, however my issue remains unsolved.

i need to display 5 charts and when I move to a smaller screen or lower resolution (bigger screen), my legends disappear first, then the units of the OX, OY axes disappear (see image attached,a part of the screen).

From my point of view, displaying numbers without its contexts (dimension's name, legends) is a waste. Of course, users can discover those values by hoover message, but that is a lot of effort....

Andy Weir

HI Chi

Your image hasn't attached.

Andy Weir

Add a title to your top 2 charts to provide context.  I have found no matter the resolution Sense maintains visibility of Title if completed.

The bottom 2 I under stand what you are showing except the stacking split.  you could include the context of your stack split in your title e.g. Number of Units by Product (if that is your split criteria) and either expand the chart to see the legend you have made visible or hover.

I know these aren't the answers you are looking for but if you want to use Sense in a responsive environment then these are the compromises to the design you are going to need to work around.

Michael Tarallo

Hi Chi - thanks for the update and the screenshot. Can you also attach another screenshot when you are in view mode? I see the one you attached is when you are in edit mode. I am just curious to see if the view updates, as edit mode takes a bit more screen real estate.

Thanks

Mike T

Qlik

Patrik Lundblad

I agree that some of these charts that Andy and Ralf showed can be improved. Would it be possible to get one of these apps and the screen resolutions so I can check how we evaluate the responsive use in the charts?