13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2015 2:04 PM by Joanna Waligora RSS

Incremental loading and merging of data from multiple connections

Joanna Waligora

Hi,

I'm looking for some data handling strategy feedback.

Scenario:

I have regional data (same format) sitting on 5 separate servers. Each region has 1 month of log data, made available in Hive. The data volume is huge, so I need to:

(1) transform/aggregate it during load and

(2) store the aggregated content for up to a year.

Current Status:

I have a working incremental load script (using a qvd file) for one region (one ODBC connection).

Challenge:

Because loads from each region can fail independently, I would like to keep the regional data in separate qvd files, so that each can be corrected/updated on the subsequent incremental load execution. This means that for EACH connection/region I have to track start/end dates for both qvd file and the current hive load.

...I'm assuming I would have to edit [date] variable names so they're different for each connection e.g. vHiveLoadStartDateRegionA, vHiveLoadEndDateRegionA, vHiveLoadStartDateRegionB, vHiveLoadEndDateRegionB, etc. (I understand QV does not have a method of restricting variable scope).

Question:

What's the best way to handle this?

Should I have 5 copies of the same connection script but each with different connection, file, and variable names?

Should I apply some sort of a loop, where the connection, file, and variable names are auto-generated on each iteration?

Regardless of the strategy, what's the best way to merge the regional data for QV visualization, once incremental loads are done?

Thanks,

J.