3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2016 11:47 AM by Ben Sughrue RSS

Set Analysis for a semi-additive metric

Ben Sughrue

I am currently attempting to replace an old Essbase cube with a Qlik Sense app. The cube pulls it's data from a semi-additive daily snapshot table in our data warehouse. The metric fields in that table are semi-additive in the sense that they can be summed across all dimensions except time.

To match the functionality of the cube, I have created several drill down dimensions, including one called Period (Year>Quarter>Month>Date). I would like to create a set analysis that sums the metrics by all dimensions, except the Period dimension. In the case of the Period dimension, I would like to app to display the last value (most recent) in the selected period.

For example:

When I am on the year level of the Period dimension, the app should show the metric value for the date of:

2014: 12/31/2014

2015: 12/22/2015 (that is the most recent snapshot as of today)

When I am on the quarter level of the Period dimension, the app should show the metric value for the date of

Q3-15: 9/30/2015

Q4-15: 12/22/2015 (that is the most recent snapshot as of today)

When I am on the month level of the Period dimension, the app should show the metric value for the date of:

Sep-15: 9/30/2015

Oct-15: 10/31/2015

Nov-15: 11/30/2015

Dec-15: 12/22/2015 (that is the most recent snapshot as of today)

I have been able to connect the app directly to the cube, but I would like to eventually get rid of the cube. So, if anyone has any suggestions on how to accomplish using set analysis, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ben

• Re: Set Analysis for a semi-additive metric
          Sunny Talwar

Try the FirstSortedValue() function:

Sample Script:

Table:

LOAD Date,

Year(Date) as Year,

Month(Date) as Month,

MonthName(Date) as MonthYear,

'Q' & Ceil(Month(Date)/3) & '-' & Right(Year(Date), 2) as QuarterYear,

Ceil(Rand() * 1000000) as Value;

LOAD Date(MakeDate(2013, 12, 31) + RecNo()) as Date

AutoGenerate (Today() - MakeDate(2013, 12, 31));

Drill Down Group: Year -> QuarterYear -> MonthYear

Expression: =FirstSortedValue(Value, -Date)

Capture.PNG

Gysbert Wassenaar

Try sum(aggr(FirstSortedValue(Amount, -Date), Dim1, Dim2,..., DimN). Replace Amount and Date with the appropriate field names and replace Dim1, Dim2,..., DimN with the field names of the chart dimensions.

Ben Sughrue

Thanks for you quick responses. Both helped me get to a solution. I forgot to mention in my first post that I have more than one type of measure in my fact table, so I need to use Set Analysis in addition to the functions. Here are two of the expressions that I am using in my app:

FirstSortedValue({$<[METRIC_TYPE] = {'ACCOUNT COUNT'}>} Aggr(Sum({$<[METRIC_TYPE] = {'ACCOUNT COUNT'}>} METRIC), PERIOD), -PERIOD)

;

FirstSortedValue({$<[METRIC_TYPE] = {'EVENT COUNT'}>} Aggr(Sum({$<[METRIC_TYPE] = {'EVENT COUNT'}>} METRIC), PERIOD), -PERIOD)