3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2009 3:31 PM by Stephen Redmond RSS

64bit Server ODBC

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my QV Server software from 8.5 (64bit)to the latest version of 9 (64bit also) on a 64bit Windows 2003 SP2 machine.

Under my previous setup I had a bunch of batch scripts that kicked off qlikview.exe with the /r flag to reload the data each day but I would now like to migrate these to tasks within the QV Management Console.

The old scheduled tasks used 32bit QV and 32bit Oracle ODBC drivers when refreshing. Now however when I setup reload tasks in the Qlikview Management Console they fail due to being unable to connect to the Oracle ODBC source. I am pretty sure this is because I require 64bit Oracle ODBC drivers on the machine???

Does anyone know how QVS determines which Oracle home to use on a server? I would like to have both the old 32bit ODBC and the new 64bit ODBC drivers running side by side until I have got all my scheduled tasks migrated.

Thanks!

Matt

• 64bit Server ODBC
          Stephen Redmond

Hi Matt,

QV 64 bit doesn't do any special job of determining which drivers are 32bit, it is a Windows thing - because QV is a 64bit application, it only has access to the 64bit system and therefore won't even be able to see that there are 32bit drivers there.

32bit QV on a 64bit server will be able to see 32bit drivers.

You need to get the latest Oracle data access components which have 64bit versions.

Stephen

• 64bit Server ODBC

Thanks. With both installed on the same server though how does QVS know which ORACLE_HOME to use? Does it matter what order the 64bit and 32bit Oracle installs are listed in in the PATH variable?

• 64bit Server ODBC
                  Stephen Redmond

Hi,

QV doesn't care where the home is - that is a driver configuration step.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if Oracle 64 and 32 drivers share a Home location (and I don't see why not) with TNS configuration, etc. - these are really just config issues.

Once the ODBC driver is configured (BTW, I prefer the OLEDB driver for performance) in Windows then QV just consumes it.

Stephen