Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Multi Document Reload Task in Release 9.0?

In release 8.5 publisher we have a number of reload tasks the reload a series of documents. We are looking at the upgrade to release 9.0 and it is not obvious to me that a series of documents can be reloaded in the same task. Am I missing something?

Regards,

5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It's true that things have changed in 9. There is a no longer a Job object that contains multiple tasks. This has been replaced by task chaining.

Task chaining is setup this way.

Document task "TaskA". Reloads document CustomerMaster.qvw. Triggers each day at 6:00 AM.

Document task "TaskB". Reloads document SalesReport.qvw. Triggered when "TaskB" completes.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Rob,

Thanks for the feedback. This does make modifying the job sequence alot more cumbersome. Also I guess there is no conversion of existing jobs... Is chaining really nothing more than setting task dependencies.

Greg

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The PubUpgrade.exe tool will convert your existing Jobs into Task chains. It does it fairly good job. You do wind up with longer chains than necessary. For example, in 8.5 Reload and Distribute were two different tasks. These can both be done in a single task on 9. PubUpgrade will not combine when converting from an 8.5 job. You can "fix" this with a manual edit later.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob.

Does PubUpgrade.exe only work on Publisher Enterprise installations?

Kind Regards,

Footsie

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

footsie wrote:Does PubUpgrade.exe only work on Publisher Enterprise installations?

Check the QV Server doc, but I believe it's applicable to Standard as well.

-Rob