21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2015 1:06 AM by BAIKANG CHEN RSS

How to make IE access point Doc open in New Window

James Phillips

Good afternoon, In our 8.5 environment, once we have published a doc using publisher, the IE document automatically opens up in a new window, which is perfect.

In 9.0, the same link opens up in the same window, does anyone know if you can change this?

• How to make IE access point Doc open in New Window
          Vlad Gutkovsky

James,

To do this, you just need to modify a couple lines in one of the files:

1. Open C:\Program Files\QlikView\Web\QvAccessPoint.js in Notepad
          2. To modify the drop-down list of clients:
            1. If you want to have different settings for each client:
              1. Plugin: Replace line 43 (plugin.target = target;) with: plugin.target = "_blank";
              2. Java: Replace line 49 (java.target = target;) with: java.target = "_blank";
              3. AJAX: Replace line 55 (ajax.target = target;) with: ajax.target = "_blank";
            2. Otherwise, if you want all clients to open in a new window: Replace line 77 (var target = self.target;) with: var target = "_blank";
          3. To modify the thumbnails: Replace line 148 (var target = node.getAttribute("target");) with: var target = "_blank";
          4. Save and close the file
              James Phillips

Vlad, Thanks for that, it works perfect, but only if users select "Open With". Any way to force it into a new window if they click the thumbnail?

Thanks in advance

James

Is there any way to open the document in a new tab instead of a new window?

Johannes Sunden

Nope, it's a user setting how to handle opening windows (New window or in tab) which is probably good since people have different preference in this matter.

Most newer browsers can be set to open links that target a new page in a new tab though so if a user wants to open everything in tabs they should be able to do so.

For IE7 this is set under:

1. Open IE7
                    2. Click Tools
                    3. Click Internet Options
                    4. Click Settings
                    5. Select Always open pop-ups in new tab
                    6. Click OK until you are back in your browser

Colin Hancox

Vlad, I've tried out your solution and it doesn't do quite what I was looking for. In QV 8.5, if you clicked on the small green page icon to open a document in a new window, the document opened in a window that had no browser toolbar or menubar. This was quite useful because it removed unneccesary things like the Back button and the address bar that the user could click on, and also gave me quite a bit more screen space to work with.

I've tried (with my zero knowledge of javascript) to add plugin.toolbar = no and plugin.menubar = no (and 0) to the plugin section of the script, but they make no difference.

Do you know of any way to remove the toolbar and menubar from the new window?

Thanks.

James Phillips

I was looking for the same thing, the new window with just QlikView....

I hope someone has a fix :)

Vlad Gutkovsky

Colin,

This is a more complicated solution:

1. Open QvAccessPoint.js.
                            2. Add the following function somewhere at the top of the file:

function OpenLink(object) {
                              window.open(object.name,'mywindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=yes,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,copyhistory=yes, resizable=yes');
                              }

4. In the function UpdateClientsLinks, replace Line 41 (plugin.href = can_use_plugin ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Plugin") : "#";) with: plugin.name = can_use_plugin ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Plugin") : "#";
                            5. Replace Line 48 (java.href = can_use_java ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Java") : "#";) with: java.name = can_use_java ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Java") : "#";
                            6. Replace Line 55 (ajax.href = can_use_ajax ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Ajax") : "#";) with: ajax.name = can_use_ajax ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Ajax") : "#";
                            7. Replace Line 62 (download.href = can_download ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Download") : "#";) with: download.name = can_download ? CreateOpenDocUrl(id, "Download") : "#";
                            8. In the function Qva.Mgr.aplist.prototype.Paint_Thumbnails, replace Line 200 (x.innerHTML = '<a href="#"></a>';) with: x.innerHTML = '<a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)"></a>';
                            9. Replace Line 203 (x.href = CreateOpenDocUrl(id, pref_client);) with: x.name = CreateOpenDocUrl(id, pref_client);
                            10. Comment out or delete Line 204 (x.target = target;)
                            11. Save & close the file. Open index.htm from the same folder
                            12. Replace the table starting on Line 78 with the following table:

<table width="100%">
                              <tr><td>
                              <span id="Menu_OpenWith">Open with</span>:
                              <ul>
                              <li><a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)" id="Menu_Client_Plugin">IE Plugin</a></li>
                              <li><a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)" id="Menu_Client_Java">Java</a></li>
                              <li><a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)" id="Menu_Client_Ajax">AJAX zero footprint</a></li>
                              </ul>
                              </td></tr>
                              <tr><td><a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)" id="Menu_Download">Download</a></td></tr>
                              <tr><td><a href="#" id="Menu_Favorite">Add to favorites</a></td></tr>
                              </table>

14. Save and close the file and restart your web server.

That should do the trick--all links will open in a new window, and that window won't contain any toolbars, address bars, scrollbars, or menu bars.

Regards,

Colin Hancox

I've tested this and it works perfectly. I set directories = no and status = 0 to give the proper "application" look I was going for, although I have seen that certain users' browsers still display the IE address bar, which I would think is a security setting somewhere.

In point 3, the second plugin.href should be plugin.name.

To me it seems to be a step backwards to have removed this feature from the default Access Point and made it so tricky to implement. Ideally it should be a checkbox on the Access Point page of the Enterprise Management Console, similar to the "Show Link" option for the Plugin Download.

Thanks for your help Vlad.

Vlad Gutkovsky

Colin,

Glad it worked for you. You're right about step #3 (that was a typo). I agree that this would be a great feature to have built-in. Maybe suggest it to support?

Regards

Jerry Somsen

Vlad,

I have been looking for this solution for days. Never appeared in any of my forum searches. Thanks a ton for your work on this question. It worked well for me also on the Thumbnails. I still get the toolbars when I select a document name using the "Details" view. Any ideas on how to fix it?

I too wish there was a checkbox for open with QV toolbar only.

Thanks,

JS

Jerry Somsen

Vlad / Anyone,

With the above fixes, I was still having issues with launcing the plugin without the IE toolbars/menus when the "Details" view is selected on the accesspoint. I follow Vlads changes and added one more that appears to have fixed my issues.

In the Qva.Mgr.aplist.prototype.Paint_Details code, I changed this code:

if(can_use_client) {
                                            cell.innerHTML = '<a href="#"></a>';
                                            cell = cell.firstChild;
                                            cell.href = CreateOpenDocUrl(id, pref_client);
                                            cell.target = target;
                                            }

to

if(can_use_client) {
                                            cell.innerHTML = '<a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this)"></a>';
                                            cell = cell.firstChild;
                                            cell.name = CreateOpenDocUrl(id, pref_client);
                                            }

It seems to have fixed my issues with the details view and opening in the correct IE without toolbars/menus. I am not a JavaScript programmer, so was wondering if I could be missing something?

Thanks,

JS

• Re: How to make IE access point Doc open in New Window
                                  BAIKANG CHEN

Hi Vlad:

I only find accesspoint.js in the folder but not QVAccessPoint.jc.

And in accesspont.jc, I cannot find any of the key words in your post.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

PC

Jerry Somsen

Here is the OpenLink code with its modifications:

function OpenLink(object, number) {
                                  window.open(object.name,"Window" + number,"toolbar=no,location=no,directories=yes,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,copyhistory=yes,resizable=yes");
                                  }

Here is example of the call to the OpenLink function:

{
                                  cell.innerHTML = '<a name="#" href="#" onclick="javascript:OpenLink(this,' + i + ')"></a>';
                                  cell = cell.firstChild;
                                  cell.name = CreateOpenDocUrl(id, pref_client);
                                  }

I had an internal source help me with the modification, but I hope I gave you enough to get it working.

Thanks,

JS