2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2016 8:48 AM by Michael Tarallo RSS

The Sense of Qlik Sense - debate

Mikael Kristensen

Qlik Sense is made of responsive design and it needs a very different mindset to design thinking. It’s common for experienced QlikView users to download the desktop version, and then trying to make QlikView fit into Qlik Sense, asking and looking for design features from QlikView. How to make a multibox?! There is not enough space! Oh no, I must divide it into several sheets! It slowly forces you to think different.

If you want to really understand Qlik Sense,start from a mobile device, properly a tablet and go for the free version of Qlik Sense Cloud. Working on the devices Qlik Sense is made for, legitimate it at its best. Hence, there is a reason it is a Filter pane in Sense, not a List box. It becomes clear that Qlik Sense is made for "fingers" - mobile devices, and of course that includes the responsive capability.

It is an effort to create a responsive design of its own, we are not used to this approach in QlikView. A logo and a nice line might look good on a desktop or a huge tablet, but on a mobile device filling the whole screen with a logo or a line at first, is not really user friendly.

As Seebach points out Qlik Sense are fewer objects, more sheets, and smaller objects with the zoom in and out approach.

Still some questions remains:

Did the responsive approach from the web kill QlikView? Will Sense take over and replace QlikView, or will they stand side by side?

I never became fan of the responsive hype on the web. I am the perhaps old fashion type who always ask for the desktop version even on my mobile phone.

I learned that QlikView is not "just reporting", its potential is discovery and to me the core to that at the UI level is the basic coloring in QlikView, where the most well-known are green, white and grey.

Did we just lose this overview of discovery with Sense and the responsive approach? Did we just lose the core or did Qlik create a new core?

Are screens getting smaller in the future? If the VR and 3D hype gets their will, perhaps none of today’s Qlik products will fit in the far future.

• Re: The Sense of Qlik Sense - debate
          Gabor Tarnoczai

Hi Mikael,

Until Qlik Sense has only the subset functionality of QlikView, they will coexist.

Qlik Sense has a great functionality, I like the platform, it's easy to use, easy to understand, it is great,

but I think it has a lower visualisation level than QlikView. Therefore who is comfort with QlikView, the Qlik Sense is seen ugly by him/her.

G.

• Re: The Sense of Qlik Sense - debate
            Michael Tarallo

Hi Guys - I like this debate and encourage feedback such as this. I will comment here as well to provide existing context and clarity. Overall and in a general sense,  Qlik Sense (immediately out-of-the-box) is for a different user audience. It is "self-service" data visualization, out of the box, where QlikView usually requires more preparation and design effort to create prepared applications that self-service types would then use to answer questions, vs building it themselves.

QlikView is powerful and customizable, but so is Qlik Sense. Out-of-the-box it is for the casual, non-developer types, not-too-technical business user, but savy enough to access data and know what questions they want to answer. With Qlik Sense, yes you may not be able to create everything exactly the way you did in QlikView - but we are developing new and better ways to do, things, so instead of just replicating we are innovating.

Then Qlik Sense goes beyond the out-of-the-box capabilities and brings about integration, mash-ups and embedding with its APIs. Engine APIs, Visualization APIs, Management APIs, - these are more modern and support today's architecture's and open standards like HTML5, REST, JSON, CSS3, JavaScript etc. So yes, the way you design an app with Qlik Sense is easy and ready to go and responsive with it's default interface (yes, it is designed with touch in mind)  and it can take minutes and answer many questions - then you can take full advantage of the APIs and build whatever you want. If you can think it, you can build it. You can incorporate extensions in the existing interface - or build your own mashups with any user interface component, language you want.

Take a look at these examples and videos to give you a better understanding of the use cases that Qlik Sense can handle and you can see a truly powerful analytics platform and not just a simple visualization tool. Also see some of the innovations that were are working with that will also help answer some of your questions.

I am happy to continue this debate and more than happy to clarify and answer any question just tag me @mto so I am aware of the reply.

Thanks guys!

Regards,

Michael Tarallo

Qlik