cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can't open a QVW

Hi All,

A very weird thing happened to me.

I have a QVW file, sitting in one of my local folders. Here is what had happened:

1. If I double click the file, it can't be opened.

2. If I change the file name slightly, such as from Supplier.qvw to Supplier_1.qvw, it could be opened.

3. If I copied the same file (Supplier.qvw) to my desktop, it could be opened.

4. If I binary load this same file (Supplier.qvw), it reload successfully.

I think the problem is this certain QVW file can't be opened in this certain (current location) folder, anyone who has same experience could tell me why?

Thanks a million!

Steve

10 Replies
dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I would close QlikView and then go into Task Manager and make sure there are no QlikView instances still opened.  If there are close them.

Then try and open the QVW.

If it doesn't open rename it, open it and try saving with the original name and see what happens.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sometimes this might happen when the registry information in Windows gets corrupted. There must be some leftovers from the file Supplier.qvw so windows did not allow it to be accessed. Typically this goes away after a reboot. Question: Are you using any macro in your .qvw?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

In addition to Dan, suggestion, check if you have a subfolder that's named as your QVW, with a suffix "-prj". If you do, delete it and try to open the document again.

The -prj subfolders are used for Source Control. Every time you open a QVW, QlikView will check for the existing -prj subfolder and replace the contents of the QVW with the definition of the -prj subfolder. If anything went wrong there, QlikView won't be able to open the document. The behavior that you described, fits that possibility.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik skills at the Masters Summit for Qlik - coming soon to Milan, Italy!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't use Macro.

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg,

thanks for your reply. I did find the folder and delete it. Now the file is ok to be opened.

Thanks a lot,

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I tried those ways you mentioned. But the problem is still there.

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg and Dan,

I have a common issue and while trying to open my own qvw file on personal edition, I am getting the error below.

The listed options did not seem to work for me. Could you help me troubleshoot?

Thank you so much!

QV version is: 11.20 SR12

Kind Regards,

~Petya

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Petya,

the error that you are experiencing, is related to the limitations of the Personal Edition - you have to be the author of your documents, or you need to purchase a license from Qlik.

I don't think there is another "solution" to this problem.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for you quick response! The files I am trying to open are the ones I have created. Indeed, I reached out the limitation on personal edition for opening files thay are not mine. Yet the application does no longer open my personal qvw's. Could you suggest any solution in this regard?

Thank you so much in advance for your response!

Kind regards,

~Petya