11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2010 10:00 AM by Thomas Mumaw RSS

Loop and Distribute

Thomas Mumaw

Good morning everyone. We just upgraded to 9.0 SR4 and Iam trying to do a loop and distribute on one of our documents. On the reduce tab I have selected values 133131 and 135231. I am controling everything through Active Directory, so I have these groups setup 133131 and 135231 setup in AD. On my distribute tab I have selected from AD 133131 and 135231. What is happening is one document is getting published called 133131 and it also contains 135231. How can I create 2 separate documents.....Thanks

Thom

• Loop and Distribute
          Fernando Toledo

I think Publisher generates one file for each USER. If this user can see two groups, then the file will keep them.

Why are you trying to split the files?

• Loop and Distribute
            Tony Nash

Thom,

I think you want to use the Loop and Reduce rather than selecting values in the Simple Reduce section. If you select the Field that contains the Groups in the Loop and Reduce dropdown Publisher will create a document for each group within that field with only that groups associations whereas selecting fields in the Simple Reduce section will create a document with data for the values selected hence getting data for both groups.

Tony

• Loop and Distribute
                Jerry Somsen

Tony,

I believe he is using loop and reduce, but the choice to limit his loop and reduce to only certain values in the "reduction" field seems to have been eliminated in QV 9.0. It was a nice functionality that I am hoping we can get back.

Thom, Can you confirm that you are trying to loop and reduce only on certain values in a reduction field?

JS

• Loop and Distribute
                    Thomas Mumaw

JS you are correct. I had to change my loop and distribute from a simple to a complete loop and distribute. In the simple loop and distribute where I specified the profit centers I wanted to reduce on seems to no longer work in 9.0 SR4. I had to select loop and distribute on a field called profit center and now it's generating QVW's for every profit center in my model. Runs way too long considering all I want to do a loop and distribute on is 2 profit centers, not 150.

Thom

• Loop and Distribute
                        Jerry Somsen

Thom,

A couple of suggestions: You could create two seperate simple reductions and trigger one off the other, or you could add a new "reduction" field in your qvw that links only to the two values in which you want to reduce on. Either one might be better than producing 150 to get 2.

Here's hoping the QV adds this functionality back in.

Good luck!

JS