cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbowlesdwf
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Geocoding with QlikView and MapQuest

I've recently had cause to dust off an application I built several years ago to extract geocodes (longitude and latitude) from address data. The application uses the MapQuest API to take a list of addresses or postcodes and return the relevant coordinates, which you can then output to CSV or Excel. I haven't seen a recent version of the API code on Qlikcommunity recently so I thought I'd share mine.

Step-by-step guide

All these instructions can also be found on the home screen of the QlikView app

1. Open the attached file in QlikView desktop (note that you will need a licence)
  2. Obtain a key for the MapQuest API More details can be found here: MapQuest Developer Network . Paste your key into the box
  3. Create a single column CSV file with the column header "Address" listing all your address or postcode strings Type the name of this file into the relevant box
  4. Run the reload script whilst connected to the internet
  5. The results can be found on the "Data" tab, where you can export them to Excel or CSV

Note that each MapQuest account has a monthly limit for the number of requests it can submit (circa 10,000), so you may need to run the query in batches to get all your addresses.

0 Replies