Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Reload Tasks hang in running state in QlikView Server 11

Hello Everyone

recently we are seeing a new problem that reload tasks are jammed in running state in QMC (Qlikview 11.0),

but the log files say the tasks are finished successfully.Once we restart the services then the status in QMC reflects correctly.

What is the reason for this , is this a bug or do we have permanent solution for this apart service restart workaround ?

we dint have this issue earlier. There are around 15 QVWs scheduled to reload one time every day

Thanks

Rajesh

8 Replies
marcus_sommer

If you really talk about QV 11.0 I recommend to upgrade to QV 11.2 SR13.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Right now Upgrade is long path to walk due to org level decisions.Any solution for this please ?

or upgrade is the only solution ?

I see bug id# 46252 talks abouut the same but for Publisher.Here we are scheduling tasks on QMC no publisher

marcus_sommer

Maybe these problem is caused by any changes within your system-environment like different configurations or windows updates and in consideration to qlikview it might help it you could reverse it - but this could have other serious disadvantages respectively risks.

Also helpful could be to have a look on the qlikview logs (governance dashboard) and/or the windows logs. Easier like this is instead to restart the services and/or the machine regulary - maybe each day directly before the (nightly) update-window.

Beside them you need a regular process - technically and adminitrative - to upgrade your qlik environment. It's not necessary to take each service release but to consider this ones a year (reading the release notes and the comments within the community) is not too much effort.

- Marcus

janterje
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Rajesh,

I have seen this issue at several customer systems.

In the cases I've seen, the issue has always been caused by a server restart while one or more reload tasks were running.

After restart, the Distribution Service should have marked the hanging task as failed, but for some reason it doesn't always manage to do so.

In these cases a restart of the Distribution Service usually solves the problem.

To address the issue, our customers have done two things:

1. Try to avoid restarts of the server during running tasks.
  2. Set the QlikView Distribution Service to "Delayed Start".
    This seems to help the QDS properly fix hanging tasks if the server was restart during the task.

Hope any of this helps!

BR,

Jan Terje

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jan Terje

Thanks for helping with the information.

Does Qlikview server restart through out the day at regular intervals ? because i see this being logged in

Windows task and activity logs, and if it restarts regularly what is the reason behind it

Thanks

Rajesh

marcus_sommer

Normally no regulary restarts should be necessary - with our previous release QV 10.0 we needed regulary restarts (triggered per windows-task and performed per batch-files) because the cache-management from the server didn't worked like expected but now in QV 11.2 SR 12 it's not needed anymore - it runs with the standards very stable.

The reason for your restarts is either such a task which is today forgotten or there is a setting within the server settings.ini (unfortunately I couldn't remember how it is named but I think you will find it if you searched in the settings).

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi, 

We had encountered similar situation before. And the reason is that some dashes took longer time to reload, and then 2-3 dashes after that were hanging.

Hope this helps.

Zhihong

janterje
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Rajesh,

No, the QlikView Services should not be restarting by themselves.

When you say that the QlikView Server restarts, do you mean the service named QlikView Server or the whole server on which QlikView is installed?

BR,

Jan Terje