Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shyamcharan
Creator III
Creator III

License Sharing between Production and Disaster Recovery server issue.

Hi Experts,

I have two environments.

One is for production and the other one is for Disaster Recovery. These both environments are same and they share the same license too.

Before I started deploying code to Production, I was able to access both the environments and see all the services were running in both of these environments.

However, due to an issue in Production deployment, I thought to set up disaster recovery environment in the meantime so that I do not delay the release.

Not sure of the exact reason, but now the QlikView server on Production is Off Duty and could not bring it back. I have read a few posts that if a License is shared by two machines then the QlikView Server goes off in these both server. However, QVS is running disaster recovery and this is my current production server for the users and the release out and Live.

Now, wondering how can I bring the normal Production server back up and running? Is this possible while the other server using the same license? Should I get support from the Qlik Directly?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shyam.

3 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

AFAIK and as you have already read in this forum:

shyamcharan wrote:

.... I have read a few posts that if a License is shared by two machines then the QlikView Server goes off in these both server. ..

the same license can't be used simultaneously in multiple environments (assuming not clustered). Hence, to get back your PROD back, you need to remove the license from the DR and thereafter apply in PROD.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you want a hot stand-by server, you'll have to buy a second server license. It's as simple as that: a single QlikView Server license may not be used on multiple platforms. Read your license agreement.

Simple solution: turn your Disaster recovery environment into a cold stand-by server, meaning you switch off all QlikView services. You can still distribute documents to both machines or to a shared location, to keep the backup-machine up to date. But you cannot keep it running.

If I'm not mistaken, only the second server (the one that is started last) will go off-duty.

Best,

Peter

shyamcharan
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you tresesco and Peter.

When I started my Disaster Recovery Server the production server went off. I remember I have tried to bring the production server on by shutting down all the services in DR server but it did come up.

Nevertheless, I can't test the process now as we are already LIVE for initial testing.

Will do the fixing as suggested and get back if any issues.

Thanks heaps.

Shyam.