cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVD used in many places, how to update them all when deploying updated QVD

Hello!

Backstory

I'm a developer at a company whose QlikView developer recently left. I had 0 QlikView knowledge but all of his tasks have fallen to me. While working through his open tickets i've learned quite a bit but i have 1 ticket that's really puzzling me. It would make my life easier if it could be solved and i'm requesting some help on how this might be accomplished.

We are a SAAS company. We have many clients who sign up for our product (a program). Part of this program is some analytics on how their program is performing - we use QlikView for this.

Problem

When i want to deploy an update i've done to a dashboard i have to copy the updated QVD file to each and every client (QVD directory in file structure below). This is very time consuming and will only increase as our company grows.

- Clients

-- Client A

--- Data

---- QVD File's are stored here

---- Also the client parameters (database prefix for that client, their name, monthly fees, etc) for the data loader scripts and dashboards

--- QVD

---- All QVD's are stored here, along with .meta and .shared files

-- Client B

--- Data

--- QVD

Attempted Solution

Since i had to do a big deployment, i've started fresh and deleted everything. I then created my client directories as above with the nested data directories. I then created a symlink to a shared QVD directory so that all clients may share the dashboard QVD files (only 1 place to deploy now).

When i reload client A i can see client A's data in both client A and client B's web portal. When i reload client B both clients' web portals are replaced with client B's data. This is somewhat expected, as the data is stored in the QVD file, but i'm wondering if there is a way to change that?

Alternatively, is there another way i should solve my problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

This is not a quick fix, but your scenario is what the Qlik Deployment Framework is meant for. With the QDF implemented it becomes very easy to share qvd's between projects/apps/clients etc. You could consider asking a Qlik Partner or Qlik Consultaning Services help you implement QDF. Considering you don't have a lot of Qlikview experience yet and you expect your program to grow in the future I think this could be a very good way to make sure you get a decent QV infrastructure in an acceptable time span and learn a lot in the process.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Gysbert_Wassenaar

This is not a quick fix, but your scenario is what the Qlik Deployment Framework is meant for. With the QDF implemented it becomes very easy to share qvd's between projects/apps/clients etc. You could consider asking a Qlik Partner or Qlik Consultaning Services help you implement QDF. Considering you don't have a lot of Qlikview experience yet and you expect your program to grow in the future I think this could be a very good way to make sure you get a decent QV infrastructure in an acceptable time span and learn a lot in the process.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand