7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2016 8:21 AM by Sunny Talwar RSS

How to extract dimensions for a specific value of a measure

Derek Cook

Hello! I am new to Qlik Sense and this is my first post. Despite all the great resources here on the Qlik Community - from which I have self-taught a lot about the tool in a few weeks! - I am stuck. Hopefully, someone here can help.

In a nutshell, I am trying to identify the dimensions associated with a specific value of a measure.

I have built an aggregation that creates a "Worst Performers" list based on several conditions for several metrics. No issue. I am greatly simplifying this since the expression is pretty complicated for some of the metrics (or so it seems to me!) so it is not syntactically exact.

AGGR(

if($(mSalesCYTD)>1000,

if(GrossMarginChangeYoY < 0,

if(SalesGrowth < 0,

$(mSalesCYTD) * GrossMarginChangeYoY

)

)

)

[Product Category], [Product SubCategory], [Product Group]

)

Next, I wrapped, the above expression in a MAX() function so that I can pull out the top value, second from top value, etc. Everything to this point works fine.

Where I am stuck is that I want to take whatever value I get from the MAX() function and extract the product hierarchy dimensions - [Product Category], [Product SubCategory], [Product Group] - for the entry where the above expression equals the MAX() value.

For example, say the aggregation looks like this:

Product Category    Product SubCategory    Product Group    Gross Profit Change

Widgets                    Brass                            Small                   -$195

Widgets                    Brass                            Large                   -$196

Widgets                    Steel                             Medium                -$145

Widget Parts             Iron                               Extra Large           -$95

Once I use MAX() to find the most negative value - -$196 - how can I then extract the following from the table:

Product Category = Widgets

Product SubCategory = Brass

Product Group = Large

In my data, the chances of two values being identical are almost zero, so this approach should theoretically yield a distinct value. However, if there is a better way to do, I am certainly open to ideas.

Hopefully this is clear. Please let me know if I need to clarify.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!