14 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2016 4:29 AM by Nazar Kolomiets RSS

License issue

Nazar Kolomiets

Hi, Everyone!

Lets assume I have 100 users and 1 document to share for each user via AccessPoint...what license type(Doc CAL or Session CAL or ...) would be better in my situation?

• Re: License issue
          Peter Cammaert

Based on the information you supplied (which isn't much): 100 Document CALs.

If you want to avoid making the wrong decision, describe your user environment in full, or talk to your Qlik Partner.

A tip: Session CALs are expensive and a single one - if you choose to configure your server accordingly - allows anyone of the 7 billion inhabitants of this planet to access your document, but only one user at a time. However, you didn't say how many users are going to visit this document at the same time...

A good official read on QlikView licensing & CALs (pdf): License Metrics and User Definitions

Peter

anutosh_dhar anutosh_dhar

As per my understanding you need 100 doc license.

Or

If the users only see the static report then you can use PDF distribution

Ashfaq Mohammed

Hi,

As Peter Cammaert said no enough information provided.

I will try to share thumb rule to mix and match them.

If there is only 1 document and there are no chances to have any other documents then go with Document Cal.

With 1 Document Cal one can open Just 1 Document

With 1 Named Cal one can open N number of documents.

So the thumb Rule

Document Cal : 1:1 Ratio

Named Cal: 1:N Ration.

If one user have access to more then 3 document at the same time I would prefer to go with Named Cal.

Hope it helps

Regards

ASHFAQ

mahamed khan

Hi Nazar,

I am considering that all the 100 users will not logged in at the same time (suppose 20 users logged in at a time) . In this situation, please refer my advise as below:

- You can purchase only 20 DOC CAL.

- Now, divide the 100 users in 10 group, 10 members in each.

- Now create the 10 group login and share with the group members.

- Now at the same time 20 users will be able to logged into the application, while as i said before that other are not

logged in at that time. now next time next 20 members vice versa...

I hope it helps you to managed your CAL in cost and effective manner.

Regards,

Mahamed

Peter Cammaert

Unfortunately, you can't assign CALs to groups. Otherwise that would be the biggest license policy circumvention technique in history

mahamed khan

Hi Peter,

My point is not to assigned to groups, i said make the group of users who can share common id between.

Regards

Mahamed

Peter Cammaert

IMHO distributing a common account with a single license to 20 QlikView users is also in violation of your license agreement. So where is the difference?

The technique you are suggesting can only be implemented using Session CALs. For the example you described, you'ld need 20 Session CALs which correspond price-wise to about 800 Doc CALs.

mahamed khan

Dear peter,

How you can consider it as violation, it is kind of a simple single DOC CAL using by single user at a time.

So no case of violation and going with session CAL its not an good idea according to cost.

If someone is looking for cost then he/she should able to go with DOC CAL rather than session of named CAL

Peter Cammaert

I won't disagree with you that this is a more cost-effective way to provide QlikView access to a large group of users. However, that doesn't make it right.

Did you ever read the Microsoft Windows Server CAL license details? Microsoft does not allow you to assign client licenses to generic users, only to employees or devices.

Anyway, you don't have to believe me. This is just free information.

Ashfaq Mohammed

Hi,

Sharing single License around different users is a License violation for sure.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Jonathan Dienst

A DOC cal can only be shared if you respect the quarantine period of 24 hours. If a license has been unused for 24 hours you can re-assign it to another user, which mean the original user no longer has a license. Any attempt to circumvent the quarantine hours and/or impersonating users to allow sharing of a license would be a clear violation of the terms of use.

Nazar Kolomiets

Thank you all for attention and quick answers!

I got needed information from doc License Metrics and User Definitions.

But I have one more question - can I do some trick by using VM and terminal sessions to it?