The license app gives the error: Field not found: CounterName
The operations monitor stops at: Field not found: ProxySessionId
As said I found on the community this is a Known error in the 2.0 version and solved in the next version. But how can i find those apps without having to upgrade my entire server to a new version.
I would suggest to comment those two fields out. Alternatively, if you really need them you could dig into the respective log files and modify the load script accordingly.
Just finding the app of the next version might or might not solve the issue you are experiencing as the log file structure might have changed as well, not only the app.
- When logged in to the server, import a new copy of the problematic app from C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\DefaultApps (You will need to give it a new name, i.e. License Monitor (New))
- Go to the Hub to the My Work section and open the application
- Click on Open to go to the Data Load Editor
- Go to the Run Logic section
- It will initially look like below. For reference the screenshots are from the Operations Monitor but the principle applies to the License Monitor as well even though the load script will look slightly different:
- Wrap the working section with the following code:
- Save the file
- Reload from the Hub or QMC
- From the Hub: Click on the Load Data icon in the upper right hand corner
- From the QMC: Apps > Select the new License or Operations Monitor App > More Actions > Reload Now
- Ensure that it has reloaded successfully
- Delete the original License or Operations Monitor app
- Rename the new copy, i.e. License Monitor (New) will be renamed to License Monitor
- Publish the new app to the Monitoring Apps stream
- Create a reload task to reload the new app. The default reload schedule for the default apps is to reload every hour, but you can set to this to be as frequent as your needs require.