Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Macro using client printer instead of server pdf printer

I have a strange problem. I have a app that uses a macro to send and email with a .pdf attachment. When I run it on the server, from the access point using the IE plugin, it works fine. When I run it on a client PC, instead of printing to the server pdf printer, it prints directly to the client default printer. It doesn't prompt for a printer or location - just prints.

Server is Windows Server 2008 SP2 (64bit) running QlikView Server version 9.00.7440.8

Client is Windows 7, IE v8, IE Plugin downloaded from the server (so they match).

Using BullZip PDF Printer on ther server (couldn't get QlikViewPDF print driver installed but that's a whole different problem). The BullZip PDF Printer is NOT installed on the client PC.

The macro has requested module security "System Access" and current local security "Allow System Access". The document security setting has "Macro Override Security" set.

I believe the code is correct as it works fine from the server (using IE Plugin from the Access Point). There must be some other strange setting somewhere that would cause the macro to use the printer from the client pc instead of the BullZip PDF printer on the server. My understanding is that the macro runs "on the server" not on the client PC.

Any ideas? What am I missing?

2 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi LuAnne,

I'd say it depends widely on how your macro is coded. (Say for example you have set some registry values that are not BullZip PDF specific, or that they are in the client's computer as well).

LuAnne Bliss wrote:My understanding is that the macro runs "on the server" not on the client PC.

Again, my guess is that it depends on how are you calling to the print function.

Not applicable
Author

I found that the the macro runs on the client. When I installed the print driver on the client, it worked fine. I incorrectly thought macros ran on the server when using the IE Plugin - but they don't.

Does any one know how to change this - macro run on server instead of on client?