10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2011 2:30 AM by Scott Moon RSS

Desktop succeeds/ Publisher task fails using Oracle ODBC with TNS-12564

Andreas Karlsson

Hi folks,

While running Qlikview desktop (version 9 SR6) my script can make use of the machines Oracle ODBC-driver without any problem. BUT when Qlikview Publisher (version 9 SR6) executes a task running the very same script it fails!!!!

The Qlikview document-log which I have enabled just hangs before the very first SQL-statement. There is a SQLNET.txt log created when the publisher fails, it says:

Fatal NI connect error 12514, connecting to:

(DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=ADE)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\PROGRA?1\QlikView\Qv.exe)(HOST=SRV01669)(USER=m37401)))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.XXX.XXX.XX)(PORT=1521)))

VERSION INFORMATION:

TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

Time: 15-NOV-2010 14:26:48

Tracing not turned on.

Tns error struct:

ns main err code: 12564

TNS-12564: Message 12564 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS

ns secondary err code: 0

nt main err code: 0

nt secondary err code: 0

nt OS err code: 0

OK so here is the background information:

The Publisher machine is a Windows 7 64-bit system and the DB-machine is a 32-bit windows running Oracle 10.2. I installed the 10.2.0.4 64-bit client software from Oracle ( I had to tweak the oraparam.ini to allow installation on that OS, according to hints in Oracle forums)

First I installed on my developer machine which is another Win 7 64-bit machine and connected to my developer DB which is an Oracle XE (32-bit). By then I could connect with a connection-string looking like:

DBHost:1521/ADE

This works on the real Publisher machine as well when running DataDirect 6.1 x64 ODBC-driver. (We don't want to use that driver since it costs 5000€)

When changing to the Oracle driver instead of Datadirect's I couldn't use that connection-string anymore (got a ORA-12514 error) but had to create a file called OraHome/Network/Admin/tnsnames.ora with a content looking like:

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

ade.srv01393 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.XXX.XXX.XX)(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = ade.srv01393)

)

)

By then I could make use of a connection-string looking like ade.srv01393. It works like a charm when testing the connection in the ODBC administrator and when reloading data in Qlikview Desktop but it fails when reloading data in a Publisher task on the very same machine.

Are there any more files I have to modify other than the tnsnames.ora?

I also downloaded the 1.1 GB Oracle 10.2.0.5 patch for windows 7 but that could not be installed on just the client software but required the whole DB to be present so never bothered with that since I just want to make use of the ODBC-connection.

I guess this failure is due to some small configuration that I as a Oracle-newbie has missed.

Any hints are appreciated very very much!

Brgds

Andy