20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2016 9:17 AM by Eoin Darcy RSS

Count of times expression is within a range

Brian Joseph

Hi,

I have  a pivot table similar to below.  Each person is given a score every week and I have the expression varX that calculates it.  I show it below for clarity.   I want to get a % of the scores within a performance range for each week. I will be working with four UNEVEN ranges. I tried the set analysis format below but it does not work. It returns a number but if I change the number the returned values don't change. I suspect its counting everything.  Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Returns a number but changing ranges has no effect:

vTier2=Count({$<vScore={">.85<=.90"}>}Name) 

NameWeek #
      Person AvarX=.75
      Person BvarX=.8
      Person CvarX=.82
      Person DvarX=.73
      Person EvarX=.91
      Person EvarX=.84

p.s. I am new to QV and find the syntax confusing with the use of single vs. double quotes and where to place symbols. So if you can explain any incorrect syntax I would appreciate it!

• Re: Count of times expression is within a range
          Sunny Talwar

What is vScore here? Is this a field name or is this a variable? Would you be able to post a sample qvw? For set analysis syntax you can look at this guide

Set Analysis: syntaxes, examples

Brian Joseph

I am sorry. I meant varX.  

varX = vScore

Brian Joseph

Hi Sunny,

Strangely I know I replied to this but don't see it.  My error. I changed the name.

varX = VScore

Ramon Covarrubias

you are not able to use the vScore variable that way, normally the variables that work with set analysis tend to be a fixed value and you compare a field against them

is "varX" a calculated value or a fixed value  ?  If it is a fixed value just use that instead of the variable and it should work, if it is a calculated, can you run that calculation in the script ?

Brian Joseph

Hi Ramon,

I thought that it couldn't be used that way either but I was told otherwise, so I posted.  Each numbers you see in the chart is the evaluation of the expression varX which is an approval per person per week.

varX =  approved/ (approved + disapproved)

I want the percentage of people who fall within an approval rating range each week (column).  I've only been at this for a few weeks. I only know how to load and do some cleaning with scripts so unfortunately I couldn't tell you at this point.

Ramon Covarrubias

see if this expression works, I did not test this yet, but by comparing to other expressions I have used, it should work

Count({$<Name={"=(approved/ (approved + disapproved)) >.85<=.90"}>}Name)

another option (and the one I recommend) is to create a field in the script, something like this should work

Load

(approved/ (approved + disapproved))  as WeeklyRate

from ......

and then you could replace the variable with this field

Brian Joseph

Thanks. I will try it but I don't understand how that would work as it seems this is trying to equate names such as  "Tom", "Lisa", to a numeric value range.  I will substitute my variable in below as that is the equivalent.

Count({$<Name={"=varX >.85<=.90"}>}Name)

Ramon Covarrubias

what you are doing is running an advanced search in the set analysis this provides not necessarily mapped to the type of data that you are looking for

Why is it called Set Analysis?

this explains what is set analysis

Brian Joseph

Thanks Ramon but this doesn't work for my scenario.  I've played with set analysis before but unlike the others and the example link you gave, I am using an expression not a dimension.  I am believing that Qlikview doesn't have the capability to substitute a variable composed of a  Sum(x)/Sum(y) .  I believe if this was a table with hard coded values loaded into it then this would likely work.

If possible I need a workaround where maybe a temp table (such as below)  can be created from a script. But if there is a year or two of data, this would be ugly for the 700 people I would have to generate it for per week!  Is it possible to have a script do this but within a restricted time period, say a month?

Person  Week     Score

Linda         2         sum(approved)/sum(disapproved)

Linda         3         ( )

John          2         ( )

John        

Ramon Covarrubias

Yes you can do the sum by restricting the month you want to sum though I would have to see some sample of your data to recommend a solution.

let me see if a can work on a POC of the expression

Count({$<Name={"=(approved/ (approved + disapproved)) >.85<=.90"}>}Name)

Brian Joseph

Here is an example of raw data.  You need a variable comprised of an aggregated expression to replicate my scenario.

NameWeekSatisfied SurveyTotal Survey
                                                Sham19898
                                                Sham27190
                                                Mark18994
                                                Mark27796
                                                Latrice19197
                                                Latrice29494
                                                Carmen18489
                                                Carmen298100

From the table above I would create the pivot below.  Looking below, the varX has created the scores for the employees (screenshot in post above).  I need to look down the week columns and count the number of people who fit within one of four unevenly distributed score ranges.  So the set analysis criteria would have to be on varX not a dimension like every example I've seen. It may not be possible.

Pivot:    Dimension: Week    Expression: varX

varX = Sum ([satisfied survey])/sum([Total Survey])

Score          Score           

Name        Week        1                2

Sham                      100%            78.89%

Mark                        varX              varX

Latrice                     varX              varX

Carmen                   varX              varX

Brian Joseph

Hi everyone,

I was not replying to the original discussion but only to one individual by mistake as I am new.

Here is an example of raw data.  You need a variable comprised of an aggregated expression to replicate my scenario.

NameWeekSatisfied SurveyTotal Survey
                                Sham19898
                                Sham27190
                                Mark18994
                                Mark27796
                                Latrice19197
                                Latrice29494
                                Carmen18489
                                Carmen298100

From the table above I would create the pivot below.  Looking below, the varX has created the scores for the employees (screenshot in post above).  I need to look down the week columns and count the number of people who fit within one of four unevenly distributed score ranges.  So the set analysis criteria would have to be on varX not a dimension like every example I've seen. It may not be possible.

Pivot:    Dimension: Week    Expression: varX

varX = Sum ([satisfied survey])/sum([Total Survey])

Score          Score          

Name        Week        1                2

Sham                      100%            78.89%

Mark                        varX              varX

Latrice                     varX              varX

Carmen                   varX              varX