6 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2016 3:13 AM by Vineeth Thange RSS

Partial load of dimension

I have a list of projects under the head 'Project' out of which some are internal, which need not be included in the project performance graph. How to load only those which are required or eliminate which are not required?

• Re: Partial load of dimension
          Sunny Talwar

Create a list of required projects in an Excel file:

LOAD Req_Projects_ID,

From Excel;

Fact:

LOAD Project_ID,

AllOtherFields

From Source

Where Exists(Req_Projects_ID, Project_ID);

Awesome Sunny. That worked. However, i still have this question in mind. Cant we write calculated dimension rather than creating another list and calling the field in the chart?

Sunny Talwar

We can surely do that as well. But if that is something which is not required in your application why bring it in was my thought.

You can always do this using a set analysis:

LOAD Req_Projects_ID,

From Excel;

Fact:

LOAD Project_ID,

AllOtherFields

From Source;

Assuming Sum(Sales) as your expression, you can do like this -> Sum({<Project_ID = p(Req_Projects_ID)>} Sales)

Hey sunny. I tried this method and i know something went wrong and whole chart is gone. The challenge here is that, i am summing multiple columns from two different tables. example: Sum of duration + Sum of billable Hours + Sum of non billable hours. So how can i use the second method as you suggested in this scenario?

Sunny Talwar

So you are saying, this doesn't work?

Sum({<Project_ID = p(Req_Projects_ID)>} duration) + Sum({<Project_ID = p(Req_Projects_ID)>} [billable Hours]) + Sum( {<Project_ID = p(Req_Projects_ID)>}[non billable hours])

Would you be able to share your date model to see what might be causing this?

Hi Sunny,

Earlier, i wrote the set analysis only to the first portion of the expression. But the way you showed next help a lot. now it worked.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Since i'm learning this, your assistance would really help me to excel my skills. Would you please mind sharing your number?

Cheers,

Vineeth