5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2016 6:13 AM by Andrew Whitfield RSS

unable to open my own documents with personal edition

Alf Gand

When I try to open a document of my own QlikView personal edition insists that this document was created by another user and opening will consume 1 of 4 recovery attempts. I tried to create a new document, saved it and could open it again during the current session. But when I restartet the PC QlikView wouldn't let me open the document. Has anyone experienced the same? And is there a solution?

• Re: unable to open my own documents with personal edition
          Stefan Wühl

I am using a licensed version so I haven't personally seen your exact issue so far.

From what I know, the PE editon uses a key that is created from some of your PC & user information, like MAC address & user login etc.

If any of these changes from application launch to application launch (this could happen e.g. with a virtual MAC address that some environments are using), your key may change and this may lead to what you are observing.

Could this be the case in your environment?

Alf Gand

Thank you for your answer. Sorry for the delay, couldn't use PC for 3 days.

I checked and found that the MAC issue does not apply in my case.

I can always create a new document, but  when I try to open that document after restarting ClickView I get the error message.  I am sure MAC address doesn't change with a new launch of  Qlickview.

Uninstalling and reinstalling did not help either.

You probably think, why does that guy not simply buy a licence? Well, I worked a lot with ClickView in my company and am now retired. But because I liked QlickView so much, I wanted to keep in shape with that application and thought installing the Personal Edition was a good idea.

Stefan Wühl

That's absolutely fine for me, I am not a qlik employee or sales person

I've seen similar threads from time to time and it's hard to give a good advice (the way these personal edition license is calculated in detail is not disclosed by Qlik, so it's hard to check all conditions).

I also think you won't get much support, because you are not using a full licensed version, but you can try to contact

qoncierge@qlik.com (they are responsible for post-sales license related issues, but maybe they can give you some advice).

For now, I would suggest two different approaches:

- Use a virtual machine to install the PE version of QlikView desktop (and use snapshots / only suspend the machine)

- Use QlikSense (which does not have these PE limitations, it's a full running, free desktop version)

Sorry that I am not able to provide more help,

Stefan

Alf Gand

It's exactly as you already assumed: Qoncierge was very friendly, but could not help me because personal edition comes without support.

Luckily I have a notebook with a perfectly running version of ClikView personal edition. So I can use that. Only thing is, that the desktop has by far the better screen (old man with poor eyesight ). Nevertheless I will try the VM and maybe the best solution: use QlikSense.

By the way: there's no need to be sorry. You gave me some absolute good ideas how to handle the problem. I really appreciate that.

Thanks

Alf

Andrew Whitfield

HI Alf,

looks like you should mark the thread as ASSUMED ANSWERED. Hope that you are enjoying your retirement !

Andy