4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2016 3:53 PM by Daniel Farrow RSS

System Tables for non-system info

Daniel Farrow

I find that the table format that QlikView calls a "System Table" is closer to a pivot table than what they call a "Pivot Table".  I want to use the format of a system table to show my data, not $fields and $tables.  However, I cannot get more than one row header.  I have 9 or 10 fixed fields that I want on the left and one that I want as the column headers.  When I include all these fields in the system table, it puts the first field as the row header and all the others as column headers.

Has anyone used a system table to show data and is there any documentation for doing so?

• Re: System Tables for non-system info
          Colin Albert

If you look at the configuration of the System Table object, it is just a pivot table object with pre-defined dimensions and expressions.

• Re: System Tables for non-system info
              Daniel Farrow

Greetings Colin,

Actually it is not.  If I have 2 dimensions (A, B) and one expression (C) in a Pivot Table object, I will get two columns for A & B with all the like values grouped together, and one column with whatever calculated expression I have for  C, 3 columns total.  For example:

B1   C1

A1   B2   C2

B3   C3

With a system table, if I have the same 2 dimensions, I will get a row for each value of A and a column for each value of B with the computed value of expression C in the cell. The number of rows will be the same, but the number of columns will be equal to 1 + the distinct values of B, which is exactly what I want.  For example:

B1   B2   B3

A1  C1   C2   C3

A2  C4   C5   C6

A3  C7   C8   Cn

However, I would like to add more dimensions as single columns to this System Table object.  For example, dimensions A, B, C, D and expression E for a result like this:

D1   D2   D3   D4

B1   C1   E    E    E    E   

A1  B2   C2   E    E    E    E

B3   C3   E    E    E    E

This is a pivot table as Excel would do it.  Is there an easy way to achieve this?