cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwfiv327
Contributor II
Contributor II

System Tables for non-system info

I find that the table format that QlikView calls a "System Table" is closer to a pivot table than what they call a "Pivot Table".  I want to use the format of a system table to show my data, not $fields and $tables.  However, I cannot get more than one row header.  I have 9 or 10 fixed fields that I want on the left and one that I want as the column headers.  When I include all these fields in the system table, it puts the first field as the row header and all the others as column headers.

Has anyone used a system table to show data and is there any documentation for doing so?

4 Replies
Colin-Albert

If you look at the configuration of the System Table object, it is just a pivot table object with pre-defined dimensions and expressions.

dwfiv327
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Greetings Colin,

Actually it is not.  If I have 2 dimensions (A, B) and one expression (C) in a Pivot Table object, I will get two columns for A & B with all the like values grouped together, and one column with whatever calculated expression I have for  C, 3 columns total.  For example:

B1   C1

A1   B2   C2

B3   C3

With a system table, if I have the same 2 dimensions, I will get a row for each value of A and a column for each value of B with the computed value of expression C in the cell. The number of rows will be the same, but the number of columns will be equal to 1 + the distinct values of B, which is exactly what I want.  For example:

B1   B2   B3

A1  C1   C2   C3

A2  C4   C5   C6

A3  C7   C8   Cn

However, I would like to add more dimensions as single columns to this System Table object.  For example, dimensions A, B, C, D and expression E for a result like this:

D1   D2   D3   D4

B1   C1   E    E    E    E   

A1  B2   C2   E    E    E    E

B3   C3   E    E    E    E

This is a pivot table as Excel would do it.  Is there an easy way to achieve this?

Colin-Albert

Create your pivot chart with dimensions A,B,C,D and expression E and you can drag the dimensions from the rows to the columns to get the format you require. Make sure that the Allow Pivoting option is checked.

dwfiv327
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

That did it.  Thanks.  I never would have figured out that such a move was even possible without your help.  I have never seen that big blue arrow before!