Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Set selection indirectly in Qlik Sense (based on variable value).

Hi everyone,

Once again, I am hoping this great community will help me solve my problem.

Is it possible to apply a selection through expression in Qlik? I am trying to apply a selection to an entire dashboard based on a variable value (I create that variable in front-end). Let's say in my data model I have a field in one of the table called Region with 2 possible values (USA and Canada). I then create a variable called vRegion, which could have values of either 1 or 2. Based on a value of this variable, I would like to create a selection for the entire dashboard the same way a Filter would. Can I do that? Maybe with some sort of extension?

I know I can do it with set analysis, but in that case I would need to add set analysis to every single graph in my dashboard which is not realistic. Can I apply a universal selection across dashboard?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Nik

You might be able to use the below, it was a alternative way of creating a cyclic group.

Create an inline table in the script

DimensionSelector:
Load * inline
[
Selector, Name
'a','NameA'
'b','NameB'
'c','NameC'
'd','NameD'
'e','NameE'
'f','NameF'
'g','NameG'
];

This will create two new fields 'Selector' and 'Name'

Create a master item dimension with the fields being the dimension you want the user to be able to select

if(Selector='a',[Field A],
if(Selector='b',[Field B],
if(Selector='c',[Field C],
if(Selector='d',[Field D],
if(Selector='e',[Field E],
if(Selector='f',[Field F],
if(Selector='g',[Field G])))))))

Use that master item dimension as a dimension in your chart and create a filter pane with the field 'Name' from the inline table.

Selecting a name in the filter pane will make the chart change, as there is no way to limit the selection to just one it is also wise to add a calculation condition on the chart.Calulation condition can be found under Add-ons > Data handling, I use getselectedcount(Name)=1

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bella,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think you understood my question correctly.

I specifically do not want to use a filter. I have a column in my dataset that I would like to filter on. So I could use a filter but instead I want to use a button. There are plenty of extensions for buttons available on Qlik Branch, and they all operate based on variable values.

So my question is how can I emulate filter with buttons through variable values. If variableA = 1, apply a certain filter. How can I do this in Qlik?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sorry I don't use extensions and although I used them in Qlik View I have not needed buttons in Qlik Sense so far. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you