I figured out my problem with the Salesforce connector. When I removed the API version number from the CUSTOMCONNECT string, it started working again for me. I had this originally:
CUSTOMCONNECT TO "Provider=SalesForceDLL.dll;F16;XUserId=CJW...
I removed the F16; part and changed it to this:
CUSTOMCONNECT TO "Provider=SalesForceDLL.dll;XUserId=CJW...
I hit reload and it worked correctly (and much faster). If you build the CUSTOMCONNECT string with the Salesforce connection dialog, simply delete the Fnn; that it inserts in the connect string.
I have no idea why this worked, but it worked. The mystery is hidden in the DLL.