13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2016 4:22 AM by Kokpeng Low RSS

Qlik Sense App Size - seems too large

Steven Kim

Hi,

I have an app with just 162 rows loaded and no front end at all !! Still the app size is 21 MB which is crazy

Also the front end has some column names which are not even mentioned in the backend !!

Can someone check why is this ? Have attached everything to check !

• Re: Qlik Sense App Size - seems too large
          Michael Tarallo

Hello Steven,

I have edited your original post, to more accurately describe the problem you are experiencing and I will attempt to troubleshoot for you. I can ensure you that, when an app is created, the size of the app should not be exploded and increase the amount of disk space used until you add objects such as graphics, attached data files, take snaphots and create bookmarks and data stories. Allow me to troubleshoot and I will get back to you shortly. If this is a bug, I can promise you it will most definitely will be fixed.

I appreciate your patience as you allow me to research this for you.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Michael Tarallo

Hello Steven,

I used Qlik Sense Cloud - I uploaded the trial.xls data, I created a new app, I added a simple table and I found that your graphic for qraved.jpg was attached. I added the thumbnail. I then downloaded the app from Qlik Sense Cloud:

Note the size is only 224 KB - this is with a Table object and columns a through j.

Please provide me with the exact steps you are performing, we need to identify if this issue you have had is isolated to a particular region or something else.

Thanks

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Michael Tarallo

Hello Steven,

I believe I have identified where the inflated size of the app is coming from. I have noticed that you have numerous defined measures and dimensions in the Master Items list AND most importantly you have a large collection snapshots and slides created in a datastory. Did you create those? In your original post - you made mention of noticing columns in the data model that were not in the original file - that is because NEW or derived columns were defined in the Master Items list. Based off of this information, I assume you did not know these were in the app and that you may not have created this app from scratch as I did in my testing example. Did you get this app from someone else and take over, I assume so. The creation of new columns based off of the existing fields with expressions will most definitely increase the size of the app, but just by a little (negligible)  but the snapshots / graphics and the datastory will also significantly increase the size as well.  Your snapshot repository had a ton of saved snapshots as well - which will increase the size of the app.

I hope this information helps -  we are here to help make you successful.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Steven Kim

Thanks Mike for your prompt reply. Yes I did create the app from another file. When I was loading data to the file, I noticed how much-ever I trim the data present in the file, the size was remaining constant !!

Whether I loaded 162 fields or if i loaded a million fields it was the same !! 21MB. I still do not understand why would this happen.

Also just the snapshots library and thye master items taking 20MB of space is ridiculous. Why would this be ?

Michael Tarallo

H hi Steven,

You're welcome - yes I did notice this as well (The size of the application not reducing when removing objects) I am currently investigating the size of the application when objects are removed - I will update you once I hear back from the products division.

It is late in the states so I may not have an answer until next week for you.

Regards

Mike

Ben Robinson

Hi Michael,

Did you find an answer for why the app size does not reduce because I have the same issue. I am building a demo app for a client and I was hoping to put it in the cloud for them to try but it is up to 32mb so I can't (unless we pay). I have reduced the number of records from 300,000 down to 10,000 and the size hasn't reduced at all, I have deleted sheets with various objects and a number of fields and again the size stays exactly the same???? Is there a way around this please because the app should surely get smaller with less data, fields and visualizations?

Many Thanks

Ben

Michael Tarallo

Hi Ben, I am following up - I will update you as soon as I hear something back, or possibly have the cloud team reply here.

stand by :-)

Mike

Qlik

Michael Tarallo

BTW - yes you are correct, the app size should get smaller. I did try this and DID notice the app size reduce. I downloaded the app from cloud, opened in Qlik Sense Desktop, removed all the objects as needed and I did see the app size reduce.

1 thing to take note of is how data is being added to the app - if you are "attaching" data files to the app when adding data  - not only are you loading data into the app as a data model, you are also including the raw source data file as an object in the app - so if the data file is 10MB - the app size will include that additional 10mb. So you may want to upload the data to the personal area of the cloud and then reference the data load that way instead of attaching the file to the app.

Just a note - in case you are doing it that way.

P.S. - I have a note out to the cloud team this morning about this issue.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Ben Robinson

Thanks for the quick response mike.

I don't believe I have attached any files because I am using QlikSense desktop to develop the app and the help files say you can't attach files with the desktop version?

I have actually now deleted every sheet and all of the script so that there is just a simple inline load loading 2 records (1 field). The app size has reduced in size now but only to 19Mb? How can an app be 19 Mb with just 1 field and 2 records? It seems like somehow file space is being cached and held open with data that no longer should exist. I can let you have the app so you can look at it if it would help (but couldn't see how I can attach it here).

Cheers

Ben

Michael Tarallo

Hi Ben - you are correct - you can only DATA attach files to apps in Enterprise and Cloud - thanks for the clarification.

In the community discussion thread, you can attach your sample .qvf app by clicking "Use advanced editor" in the text box. This will enable you to attach files.

I know this is actively being investigated so as soon as I have an update I will update this post.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

kha - fyi

Ben Robinson

Thanks Michael,

I've attached the app with everything removed that is still 19MB so hopefully this helps.

Also, I created a new app and copied and pasted the load script and all of the sheets and objects into it to see what size that came to and it was only 7.5Mb in total. Hence, it seems that as you load data into an app the file size grows but when you remove data it isn't reclaiming all the space back for some reason.

Cheers

Ben

Steven Kim

Hi Ben and Michael,

I have found a workaround for this till Qlik solves this problem. Follow the below steps and you can reduce the app size significantly

• Ensure you dont have a lot of snapshots and stories created, they sometimes tend to take up lot of space than the entire data itself
                                                • Go to the data load editor of your existing app where you have issues with reclaiming the space back, comment all the code (I meant everything, Ctrl+A and select the comment on top in editor)
                                                • Now click on Load data with nothing in the app, you will see your app size reducing almost to ZERO or a few KBs
                                                • Now go back to the app and uncomment all the code and reload again
                                                • This will reduce the size of the app significantly without actually reducing any data

My app size reduced from 83MB to just 21MB, that was 1/4th the original size.

Let me know if it works for you guys

Kokpeng Low

Hi All,

I'm having the same issue. This qvf file is only used for extraction, means there are no data, only some variables.

The current file size is 229 MB. How it got this big was I was testing incremental load script and the table was not drop. However, dropping the table after storing to qvd doesn't reduce the filesize.

My script has many sections, therefore it is time consuming to comment each section. I wrote an exit script as my first line and reloaded the file. It didn't help.

Does Qlik recognise this as a product bug?

Thanks!