4 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2017 4:02 PM by Павел Никифоров RSS

How to get the value of a variable with a widget?

Leon Lourie

Hello everybody,

I want to create a widget which gets and sets the value of a variable by using a drop-down list in Qlik Sense.

I could realize a drop-down list which sets a variable by using the setContent method from the Variable API. However, I have a problem with getting the value of a variable since the appropriate methods from the Variable API use a callback function. Is there a possibility to realize such a widget?

I am new to Qlik Sense development and I have some basic knowledge in AngularJS.

Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.

Kind regards,

Leon

• Re: How to get the value of a variable with a widget?
          Robert Hoekstra

Hi Leon,

I am also interested in knowing if it possible to use widgets in order to achieve such behavior.

Did you find anything?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Robert

Stefan Walther

Hi,

this can currently not be achieved (based on Widget in Qlik Sense 3.0). But we are soon publishing a new API in Qlik Sense 3.1 that will allow you to get to the desired result.

Stay tuned!

Regards

Stefan

Leon Lourie

@Stefan: Thank you for your response! I am looking forward to the new version of Qlik Sense.

Such a widget can also be developed using Qlik Sense 3.0. I developed the widget using the following method.

To set the value of a variable, use a html button with ng-click="app.variable.setContent('MYVAR','1');".

To get the value of a variable, create an input field in the properties (e.g. named myvar) of the widget and type there =$(MYVAR). You can use this value by referencing settings.myvar.

This works if the variable has a nummeric value.

Here is an example:

<div>

<select ng-model="selectVal" ng-init="opt=settings.selVarValue" ng-change="app.variable.setContent(settings.selVarName, selectVal);" class="lui-select">

<option ng-selected="opt==1" value="1">{{settings.optLabel1}}</option>

<option ng-selected="opt==2" value="2">{{settings.optLabel2}}</option>

<option ng-selected="opt==3" value="3">{{settings.optLabel3}}</option>

</select>

</div>